I’m playing with the Generate Harmony feature. First attempts sounded terrible, but with some tweaking, I got something sounding, well, interesting. The problem is when a vocal segment crosses chord boundaries the new chord is ignored causing a “bad” sounding chord. I want the harmony to always follow the chords. There is a tedious process to fix. I can go into the sample editor, use the segments feature to cut a segment at the chord boundary and I get the desired effect. (Takes too long and it is easy to make mistakes - a generally unsatisfactory experience.)
So is there a way to automatically create a segment when a new chord event occurs? I was looking for a command that chopped at every quarter note or something, but I couldn’t find that either.
Here are some steps to replicate the issue:
- Record an audio track by holding down single note, say middle C, for 4 or 5 measures (normally this would be the vocal track - but I used a simple synth saw to figure out the issue)
- Add a chord track and change the chord each measure
- Generate Harmonies
- Play back of generated harmonies shows chords ignored (so the harmonies will clash with the other instruments)
- Undo generator harmonies
- Using the sample editor, split the single note at each measure
- Regenerate the harmonies
- Play back of generated tracks now follows the chords
So - I want the splitting to occur automatically. Any suggestions for me? Or is this a suggestion for steinburg product management?