Auto LFO question

Is there any way for Auto LFO to modulate Quick Controls?

I’m no automation expert but I think there is … :wink:

Myself, I use a VST like LFO Tool directly on the plugin and/or a group channel.

:nerd:

How are you getting it to speak to other plugins on the channel/group which don’t respond to CC though? (i.e. most effects plugins)

Can you elaborate a little on what you are trying to achieve? as in the end result…

:nerd:

I’m trying to route LFO modulation to plugin parameters which aren’t controllable via CC.

For example, to modulate a delay or reverb amount for creative effect.

I can assign any parameter to a Quick Control, so if I can work out how to route LFO modulation from Auto LFO to a tracks Quick Controls, then I can LFO modulate any parameter.

Don’t know about using Auto-LFO - I doubt it, but you could use an automation track for the quick control and lay down a sine modulation at the frequency you want using the draw-sine function.

Yeah there’s always that manual way, but it’s obviously more limited, and can be quite fiddly I find.

You will need an external MIDI Loopback software (on PC, I know there are a couple of freeware available… on Mac, there is the built-in IAC Bus)…
You need to route a MIDI track, with the Auto LFO inserted on it, out to the Loopback.
Then, in Devices>Device Setup>Remote Devices>Track Quick Controls, you need to set the Track Quick Controls input to be the return of the Loopback, with one of the slots set to the MIDI channel of that MIDI Track, and in the “Address” column, the CC# number that you have chosen for the LFO (“Controller Type”).
If you don’t want to spoil your already set-up Track Quick Controls configuration in the Devices menu, you can, instead, create a new Generic Remote Device (with the MIDI Loopback as its input), and, in this case, you need only one slot, set up as I described for the upper section (MIDI channel and Address (CC# number) ). In the corresponding line in the lower section, set it to Device = “Mixer”, Channel/Category = “Selected”, Value/Action = Quick Controls>“Quick Control 1” (or whichever Quick Control Slot you wish to trigger from the LFO)

I just tried it quickly here myself (using a new Generic Remote Device), and it works a treat :wink:. (Of course, Cubase has to be in Play, for the LFO to do anything :wink: )

Nice one, that’s working well. I was so close to that workaround using a guide i’d found for Cableguys MIDIshaper, but while I could get that to work, I must have missed some crucial step in managing it with Auto LFO.

All good now, and maybe I don’t need to bother buying MIDIshaper anymore, unless I need more complex LFO shapes.

(So I guess I wouldn’t really be helping you if I said that MIDI Shaper is great? :stuck_out_tongue: )
Btw, you didn’t “miss something”… MIDI Shaper can transmit its MIDI output directly to the Cubase Inputs, whereas Auto LFO acts only upon the MIDI track on which it is inserted (which is why you need the Loopback in this instance).

Anyways, glad you’ve got it working :wink:.

Hi, glad there are Solutions to the original Problem.

I want to add what I suggest to Steinberg in that respect: Treat all types of tracks (midi, Audio, Automation) equally. In other words: Implement Automation in a way that Automation lanes are able to record, playback, , etc. etc.
They should be routable to whatever target, even multiple ones.

I am mainly thinking of Routing. It would be highly flexible this way.

One very interesting (positive :wink: ) side effect of setting up the above, is that of course this can be used to pilot Track Quick Controls via the MIDI track itself (with or without Auto LFO or any other MIDI Insert :wink: ). If you set the MIDI track’s input to the source that you normally use to remote control Track Quick Controls anyways, you can record your fader/knob movements, just like any other MIDI data, (and edit it :wink: ), and the result will pilot the Quick Controls slots that are set to respond to the corresponding CC#s, in this instance, not using the more normal Write/Read automation :wink:.