Automate MIDI Sends on/off based on CC values in the MIDI track

Hi folks,

I’m trying to figure out a way to automate a MIDI track activating MIDI Sends. I have a “primary” MIDI track (on which I’m going to enter MIDI note and CC data) with its’ output set to “Not Connected”, and then I have 4 MIDI Sends enabled on that MIDI track hooked up to 4 different VST endpoints hosted in VE Pro. I’m trying to use the “Transformer” MIDI Insert to trigger which of the Sends get enabled based on CC32 values, e.g. CC32=11 enables Sends 1, 2, and 4 and disables 3… but CC32=12 enables Sends 1, 2 and 3, and disables 4.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks so much!

Hi,

I’m afraid you would need to send the data out of Cubase to any virtual MIDI Port and then back to be able to use MIDI Remote (or maybe Track Quick Control) to control the Sends On/Off.

Is there a reason you don’t want to use regular Automation for this?

1 Like

Thanks for the responses @Martin.Jirsak and @raino !

So I’m trying to play multiple VST Instruments simultaneously with one Cubase track by having them on the same MIDI Port and Channel in a connected Vienna Ensemble Pro instance. However, the articulations (triggered via CC32 values) that each VST Instrument have are not the same, i.e. CC32 = 20 = Legato in one of the instruments, but = Staccato or a non-existent articulation in other instruments, so I’m trying to come up with a “pre-filtering” automation solution so that MIDI Sends are disabled / enabled based on the CC32 value on the track, for example:

• if CC32=20, then enable MIDI Sends 1, 3, and 4, but disable 2
  • if CC32=24, then enable MIDI Sends 2 and 4, but disable 1 and 3
  • etc.

Happy to clarify further if needed.

@Martin.Jirsak - feel free to point me to a resource where I could further investigate the MIDI Remote based solution.

And I’m open to any advice anyone out there has for me. Thanks! :slight_smile: