Automatic note duration step/pace

In Cubase 9.0 and 9.5 also (I have begun with this software a few weeks ago). I select a certain duration note on the toolbar, an eighth one as an example, and I create several notes regularly. After that, I select a smaller duration note on the stave (while the last selected note on the toolbar is a longer one) and it is impossible to change its location to a position at every its own duration time step but the duration of the last note selected on the toolbar. I think the normal way could be to adapt the automatic step to the duration of the recent selected note on the stave. I don’t know if it exist some user option to change this behaviour. Thus, I must to select on the toolbar the note with the duration that fits with the note on the stave that I want to move, immediatly cancel “note creation” with the right mouse button and selecting then the note to move over the stave as after that its duration equals the duration of the last note selected on the toolbar. Does it exist any other easier solution for that issue?