Automating Superior Drummer

I’m working on a project right now in Cubase 7 in which I am using Superior Drummer. I would like the song to start off with only the ambient mic being heard, and then switch to all mics upon the other instruments entering.

I tried to activate Write for automation on the VST track for Superior Drummer and then manually turn off the solo button when I want all mics to be heard but Cubase is not recording the change(the mics don’t switch even with Read automation button activated).

Is there a way to automate features within VST’s, or how would one go about setting up busses to get a similar effect within Cubase? It can be kind of confusing setting up VST connections when I have a mixer in Cubase, a mixer in SD and the mixer for my EMU 1616m.

Any guidance on either setting up VST automation or mixer routing would be more than greatly appreciated. :smiley:

If you’re trying to automate the solo button within the VST then it probably isn’t automatable… But then I haven’t got SDrummer! Not all things in a VST are automatable.

You might find it easiest to send the ambient mics to different output channels than the other mics (i.e. multi channel output), then you can control them using Cubase channels rather than SDrummer (internal VST) channels.

Also I’d advise using fader automation rather than mutes or solos, that’s because mutes and solos are very useful tools for working on mixes, i.e. auditioning individual tracks or removing certain instruments on an ad-hoc basis. If they’re automated in any way then you lose their ad-hoc operation because only follow the automation.

Mike.

+1 @ Gargoyle.

Learned the “do not automate mute/solo” the hard way.
Also, unless SDrummer has some awesome built in effects, you’re better off splitting the outputs like the G-man said (using the F11 VST instrument panel) and mixing them in Cubase rather than in SD.

I use Superior in Cubase and after many trials i say +1 to Gargoyle and Soul-Burn. Load Superior into VST rack, assign all drums to independent outputs and mix/automate them in all within Cubase. The only downside of this is that you can’t recall your fully mixed drumkit in another project… But Superior’s internal insert effects are pretty basic, so you are not losing much.

I will try to output the drums to Cubase. Can someone give me an example of how I would do that?

I’ve been searching online and haven’t found anything for Superior Drummer to Cubase specifically. Not even sure where to start.

If I want to have a track in Cubase play the ambient mic from Superior Drummer, would I start with running the ambient mic channel to one of the outputs… or one of the busses (in the SuperiorDrummer mixer)?

I will try to output the drums to Cubase. Can someone give me an example of how I would do that?

I’ve been searching online and haven’t found anything for Superior Drummer to Cubase specifically. Not even sure where to start.

If I want to have a track in Cubase play the ambient mic from Superior Drummer, would I start with running the ambient mic channel to one of the outputs… or one of the busses (in the SuperiorDrummer mixer)?

Assuming you have Superior Drummer (SD) loaded in the instrument rack of Cubase (not as an instrument track)…go to the mixer view in SD, click on an output channel and choose ‘Multichannel’ from the drop down. This will route all of the SD outputs to discrete channels.
Then clicking on the little downward arrow at the top right of the SD Gui choose “Activate Outputs/Activate All Outputs.”
You should now have all those output channels appear in your Cubase mixer.

You can of course customise this by only activating those channels you want to use in the Cubase mixer, and routing each output in the SD GUI to the channels you want to use and have activated in the Cubase mixer.

Hope that makes sense!

Official tutorial from Toontrack, using Cubase 4, but it’s the same in 7.

As dickiedrummer.

How about a slightly different approach assuming that you have finished programming the drums. Export an Audio Mixdown of the Ambient channel from Superior drummer and automate the fader on that track. I use BFD3 and can assign mixer track to Cubase. I believe that you can do the same to SDrummer. Or possibly you might want to batch export each drum track.

On reflection the dickiedrummer approach should be more flexible as it would not stop you from changing the drum parts and you will be able to automate the faders for all those parts.