Automation playback delayed based on latency?

You’re right, it keeps the last selected (working @ 64 samples so it looked very tight :laughing: ).
And emotive is right too, apparently you can’t export without a driver (after restarting Cubase, that is).
So I guess it keeps something loaded when selecting “no driver”.
My bad!

Interesting!

What happens if you use manual latency compensation? Does that fix the issue? What audio interface are you using?

what do you mean by manual latency compensation? adjusting the automation to compensate for latency? yes that works because that is what i have been doing all along but never actually investigated why i had to do this

also the soundcard i have doesnt seem to matter, this is a cubase ‘issue’ and also an issue with some other sequencers, aparently live also.

ive literally lost 100’s of hours racking my brain as to the reason why my automation wasnt tight enough !!!

this makes interesting reading, especially as it doesnt improve on the timing of the automation when bouncing.

my m-audio delta latency only goes down to 64ms so i will have to work with changing it after every bounce !!!

thanks for doing the practical test.

when I made this post I actually thought I might be the only person that did not know this… but it seems to not be common knowledge!

its quite concerning because it means my project will sound different at different latencies due to automation!..

I always felt that the track sounded tighter at lower latencies but tried to tell myself it was in my head… now I know I wasn’t imagining it!

So what is being asked, a latency compensation mechanism for automation similar to what was implemented for MIDI?

ok, that´s good to know. Thanks for posting!
So from now on we can put the notepad to good use and write down the buffersize we used on each project when creating the first automations.
…and for the case when timing is crucial and a buffersize change has to be made, we could use a list of how many ticks all automation has to be nudged in a certain direction… like
256 to 512 — xxx ticks to the left.

anybody´s got time :wink:
kind regards

I would like sample accurate automation, if i automate a mute event on the beat… it should cut on the beat
(not that i use mute automation, but you see my point)

i wouldve thought there would be some delay compensation hen exporting.

i will try turning on the ‘delay compensation’ before bouncing to see if that will tighten up the automation.

this thread has got me 2nd guessing alot of other cubase niggles…and i hardly ever moan [PUBLICLY !! ] about glitches

interesting workaround.

but how would you go about calculating the amount of space to nudge the automation ??

also, does adding uad plugins add to the latency?

quick quiz… did anyone already know that this happened?
or is this coming as a surprise to most people?

The Project Logical Editor can do it in samples.
Still a waste of time though :laughing:

The playback (what you hear) is absolutely tighter at lower latency’s. The export, like you said, shouldn’t be affected though.
An old but interesting and still relevant read by Matthias Carstens from RME explains why the playback is tighter at lower latency’s.

I recall some topics on the old Cubase.net forum about exactly this issue. I think it was related to Cubase 4 or 5.x

edit: like this, between the flame war, also note the reply by Steinberg.

do you think the ‘delay compensation’ switch would work if turned on before exporting to wav/mp3 file ?

I doubt it, but the best way to find out is to try it :wink:
I’m not on C7, I chimed in because I recognized the problem from 5 & 6.

at least i know to drop my latency to 2ms before mixdown… and do my stem automation at 2ms!

i think that will only affect realtime playback of automation.

surely if were snapping automation to grid (breakdowns…etc) we can work at whatever latencies BUT remember to changed it to lowest possible setting before bouncing.

thats my interpretation anyway !

yes that’s what meant sorry, snap automation to grid, but remember to change to lowest latency before bouncing! might even do some tests to make sure it sounds as i expect it to sound etc!

or am I misunderstanding what you mean by bouncing? I mean the final mixdown. (actually i mix to 20 odd stem first then start a new project)

yh i meant exporting the final mixdown.

I sometimes mix to stem, but only when the processor is at 75% and theres more work to be done. [most projects]

just thinking now if i’ll actually be able to open projects and my lowest possible latency and navigate to export without glitching.

i was using the channel strip HC + LC automated to do some simple stuff and it was massively out of time…and now i know the reason why !!!

just tried it with several filter plugins at various latency and not found a workaround.

gonna keep goin and hope it doesnt annoy the hell outta’ me !!!

:imp: