automation track view question.

hi,
can someone explain how i can have an automation track automatically show as a track for a specific instrument or audio track once ive enable read/write and created data. ive seen tutorials on youtube for automation ideas and when that person records data for automation its track automatically appears, but for some reason i have to right mouse click and enable view for said automation track inside the tracks column.
thank you in advance

Good question. I hope someone has an answer. :wink:

If not, I suggest that you submit this as a “Feature Request”. Sounds like a good idea to have this as a preference option (Add preference option to open used automation lanes when clicking “write” automation).

Regards :sunglasses:

Go to the automation panel and select “show automation lanes”… it’ll be selected by default after this selection.

Thanks. That seems like that is what the function should do (open the automation lane when you activate the “write” button") but it does not for me. Weird… bug maybe?

Does the setting work for you?

Here is what it says in the CB9 Op Manual in the settings section…
Automation Panel (Cubase Pro only)
Reveal Parameter on Write
If you activate this option, the corresponding automation track is revealed on writing automation parameters. This is useful if you want to have a visual control of all parameters changed on writing.

Hi again, i to have tried that option but it still resuses to auto show the lane/track once a write has started. must be a bug as youtube help videos show that it does work… just not for some of us it seems

If you only activated the write button it can’t foretell which parameter you’re thinking of automating…it should open the correct parameter lane once you write something.

Hi again, i to have tried that option but it still resuses to auto show the lane/track once a write has started. must be a bug as youtube help videos show that it does work… just not for some of us it seems

Can you tell us what you are trying to automate or check if it happens with simple volume automation for example (which definitely works here)

EDIT…Now tried with Steinberg instrument (retrologue) and 3rd party instrument (Korg MS20) and moving all parameters seem to open the lane as expected.

Are you certain you’ve activated this?

And the transport’s in play mode?

If so, check for corrupt prefs.

I’ll do a safe start later to check for corrupt preferences (not at studio now) and try the same test as I mention below. Please let me know if I am not doing what I need to do in my simple test.

For my earlier test I added some simple test volume automation to a audio track (so that satified what grim mentioned) then checked the option box as shown by steve. Saved the project, closed the automation lane then saved again while closing the project. Reopened the project and, with fingers crossed, clicked the automation write button. That’s when I exepected to see the volume automation lane open. It didn’t. Then I checked to see if the option box was still checked… it was.

Also wondering… for those using this option without issue, does deactivating the automation write function make the automation lane close? That would be cool.

Edit… what I don’t think I did was activate the play function as mentioned by steve. I will be be back home, er I mean studio, in about an hour and try again.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Reopened the project and, with fingers crossed, clicked the automation write button. That’s when I exepected to see the volume automation lane open. It didn’t. Then I checked to see if the option box was still checked… it was.

It only ever works on writing automation…not on activating write.
Tick the box, arm automation, press play, move a fader and the lane will open under that track immediately.

OK just logged back in to say it still wasn’t working then I saw your post…

You need to move a fader for it to work. So it works for me. Thanks :wink:

I guess my workflow really will not benefit from this option. I only make real time automation maybe 30% of the time.

For me, it would a nice option for the automation lanes (with data already on them) to just automatically open when I clicked on (armed) the automation read button.

For me, it would a nice option for the automation lanes (with data already on them) to just automatically open when I clicked on (armed) the automation read button.

Sure…In it’s current state I guess setting a KC for show used automation on selected track will be about as close as you can get to this.