Available Text Fonts

Hi Folks,

Is there a reason why Dorico doesn’t see all the fonts available for text that I have in say, Microsoft Word?

I would like to use a font for some worksheets, namely Bauhaus 93 but it doesn’t show up in my list of fonts in Dorico.

Cheers,
Warwick

I guess something went wrong when you installed it…

Capture d’écran 2018-05-08 à 14.00.09.png

Are you on Windows or Mac, Warwick? Are there any other fonts that you think might be missing from the list? Sometimes fonts present different names in different applications, so look for the font elsewhere in the list as well, perhaps prepended with the name of the font foundry from which it comes, or something like that.

Thank you both for your replies.

Daniel, I am on a Mac running 10.13.4. I tried searching the list to no avail and can’t find what font foundry Bauhaus is from on the web.

I did see this thread: SOLVED. I can't find a way to choose between light/heavy text font subtypes - #7 by AlvaroALorite - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

and tried Daniel’s suggestion of copying the fonts from Word. In my OS there is no Library Folder in my User Folder so I option clicked the Go menu to reveal the System Library folder there. Copying to the fonts folder there was unsuccessful.

Any other ideas? Might a reinstall of Dorico work?

Thanks for your time,
Warwick

Hi Warwick.

I actually installed Bauhaus 93 after reading your post to understand where the problem was, and indeed (as you can see on the picture) it does work !
I also have mac 10.13.4 (installed it three days ago), and for what it’s worth, Bauhaus 93 has been installed with Fonts Manager, so the ttf file is quite buried inside my mac (see picture). I think Dorico has nothing to do with the fact it does not appear, you must find the way to install that font properly — maybe using the fonts book ?

I believe some font issues are solved by restarting the computer - might be worth a try!

Dear Sadhaka,

After you have downloaded a font, you need to use Font Book to install it. If you have trouble locating it, just click on the magnifying glass in the upper right menu bar (next to your user name) and type “Font Book”. Then in Font Book, go to File… Add Fonts.

I think some fonts are buried deep inside Microsoft Word’s own application bundle, and so they’re not visible to other applications. On my Mac, if I right-click on the Microsoft Word application icon in the /Applications folder and choose Show Package Contents, I can find a bunch of fonts inside Contents/Resources/Fonts, including Bauhaus93.ttf. If you copy those fonts out of there and put them in ~/Library/Fonts then they should all show up in Dorico and indeed in other applications.

Dear musicmaven,

Thanks very much for the tip on Font Book, it worked.

I located the font in Word via Daniel’s suggestion then dragged it into Font Book. It is now available in Dorico.

Thanks all for the help :slight_smile:

Warwick