Average Audio Processing Load - Mac OS X

Hi all,

I’ve been a Cubase user for a few years, but lately I’ve noticed some weird issues with the Average Audio Processing Load meter constantly clipping out even when I’m working on a not very intensive session. I work mainly as a film composer so I am constantly running sessions with multiple instances of Kontakt, various soft-synths and lots of 3rd party plug-ins & effects. I think I mainly noticed this issue starting with Cubase 8, but managed to try and work with it for about a year. Now with 8.5 its back in full-force and I’m at a loss.

Specs & Hardware:

mid-2012 MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16GB RAM
NIVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB
OS X 10.11.2
Cubase 8.5
Symphony I/O USB
MOTU Midi Express XT
Avid Artist Mix

The current session I’m on has 3 x Kontakts (each with 3 or 4 active midi channels), an Arturia Matrix 12 & Mini V2, 2 x Zebras, and 1 x Addictive Drums 2. I have also have various plug-ins from FabFilter, u-he, SoundToys and Valhalla across the board. I’ve been bypassing plug-ins on and off to try and shootout who’s causing the issue, but no luck so far.

Whenever the arrangement fills in the meter peaks and audio starts to drop out and stutter. There are times when it’s completely unusable, which ends with me being frustrated. I’ve gone through ASIO settings, different buffer sizes, anything I can possibly think of and nothing seems to help. I almost always assume that my system just isn’t powerful enough, but I even took some time to set up the exact same session in Logic 10.2 (same instruments, routings, effects and midi notes) and it seemed to work perfectly fine.

Is there something I’m missing, or not thinking of? Has any one else out there experienced similar issues?

• Ian

Update: I removed all of Cubase’s preferences for v8 & 8.5, and let it rebuild everything on the next start up. I have a session open with 1 x Diva, 1 x Zebra & a Kontakt with 6 instruments in it (3.46GB altogether) - I could barely play a chord with all of these selected at once before it started spiking and dropping out.

Any ideas??

Same issue here. Have you been able to sort this out? please PM me