This should be able to be done so much easier, Steinberg should provide a management utility that looks like ‘Import Tracks to Project’, where a user could pick and choose which preferences to import/transfer.
Secondly, the AppData/Preferences list here > Preferences of Cubase and Nuendo – Steinberg Support
Is incomplete and inconsistent.
-‘MediaBay Favorites’ wasn’t even listed.
-Drumaps I’m pretty sure doesn’t exist, it’s up to the user to manually save them and reimport them per projet (they aren’t global)
-I can’t find where my custom ‘Plugin Collections’ organizational lists are
This is how the utility would work,
- Open up Cubase
- go to Preferences Import Utility
- User selects an AppData directory of either a previous version they’ve installed on their computer, or a backup directory they did
- A list of all the preferences available in that directory unfolds
- the user check marks what preferences they want to transfer
- Hit enter, Cubase asks, “Create Backup of Current Preferences?”, Yes
- Cubase creates backup to a described location and then reboots Cubase with the new preferences installed
Also in this utility should be Error Checking, because sometimes these .xmls become corrupt during crashes and a huge amount of data gets dumped into them which then results in either Cubase not being able to start, or best case scenario, very slow to start.
For example, one crash I had resulted in my controlroomsetup xml to becomes some 800mb in size.