Backup Project

Hello folks.

How do you move a wavelab project between computers?

I have a project with 4 file groups, several montages, and about 15 audio files. Every media file and montage is stored on the same folder: the project’s folder.

As a test, I copied and moved the project to another folder. When I open it, the montage and audio files “point” to their original location (which shows in wavelab´s title bar). I don´t want this. I want the montages to open from the project’s new location. The reason is, if I move the folder to another computer, the montages and audio files show a red overlay that says “file not found”.

On this topic, the manual says that:

“You can save your complete production as a project and open it on any WaveLab Pro workstation. For this, the source files must be available on the target workstation at the same relative or absolute path.”

So my question is: How do I set up the project to store relative paths instead of absolute ones?

The manual mentions nothing about it.

Isnt there a function like Cubase’s “Back up project”?

This should work as you exoect. However a miss has been detected if you use superclips. Is that your case?
This problem is fixed in next patch.

Hello,

No, I’m not using superclips. It’s just audios and a montage.

I first thought you were mentioning files referenced by audio montages. In that case, it works.
But files referenced by projects are not relative, absolute paths are used. Hence your problem.
I will fix this for next patch. However, this will only work for newly saved project, because some extra information need to be saved.

Hello PG,

Thanks for the info.
So:

1. When will this next patch be released? I´m writing an online Wavelab Course for VonKelemen (www.vonkelemen.org), and would love the videos to include a method to move projects between computers.
  2. Whats the easiest method you recommend for moving entire projects between Wavelab workstations? I´d like our students to be able to share their projects on the virtual classroom for analysis an discussion. And furthermore, I´d like to be able to backup my harddrive, without all my Wavelab Projects getting messed up.

Thank you for your time!

BTW,

This issue is happening on Wavelab 9.5.35 build152

I asked a guy (he´s on this forum) thats been using wavelab since version 3 and he doesnt use projects. I´ve been using it for 2 years, and since a couple of months I´ve been storing everything in neatly lookin projects, thinking that they were so convenient, until I tried to move one to another location in my harddrive. What a nightmare it is to have to reload every single tab and montage.

Is there an easy way to move them?

9.5.40 is planned for end of october.

Whats the easiest method you recommend for moving entire projects between Wavelab workstations

Aside audio files, you should copy the settings
Windows: \AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 9.5
Mac: /Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/WaveLab Pro 9.5/

Is there an easy way to move them?

With 9.5.40, the easy way, would be to move them to where they were originally saved. Then to save them again. Then they can be moved.

1. Why should I copy the settings? What happens if I don´t?
  2. So, under this 9.5.4 patch, to move a project, you save a copy via File>Save As copy? To move the project, I move the WPR?

What if I want the project to be self contained? Can I move the folder, so all the media files and montages are moved along the WPR file?

Thanks!

1. Why should I copy the settings? What happens if I don´t?

This is only if you have presets used by your project. Else, this is not necessary.

1. So, under this 9.5.4 patch, to move a project, you save a copy via File>Save As copy? To move the project, I move the WPR?

No, not “save as copy”. From 9.5.4 you have nothing to do if it is a new project.
But if it is an old project, then move it to the place where it was originally saved (so that you can open it, simply). Then save it again (overwrite it). Then after quitting WaveLab, you can move the folder with all its child files.

Hi @PG, how is this update coming along?

How will the project backup function work?

Thank you!

9.5.40 will be available in about 4 weeks.

Hello everyone.
Just found this old post but I have similar questions. I have Wavelab 10.0.4 installed on an iMac and a MacBook Pro. All my projects are on an external hard drive so I can open them on either computer with the e licencer. I have saved a number of settings while using the iMac. Can I copy (or move?) the Wavelab settings folder from the iMac library onto the external hard drive so that any settings (existing or new) are available on either computer? Do I need to delete the existing Wavelab settings folder in the MacBook library so that there is only 1 settings folder available for Wavelab to access?
Also, I am wanting to copy everything from the external hard drive to a new SSD. Will Wavelab be able to find everything? Eg a montage location appears at the moment as “/Volumes/1TB/ etc…” Do I have to name the new SSD “1TB” or can I instruct Wavelab where to find everything (and how do you do this)? The Operation Manual had no info that I could find on this.
Thanks,
themill

You need to copy this folder:
/Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/WaveLab (…)/
to the same place in the target machine.

No

Thank you for your quick reply PG1
I may not have explained my questions that well.
The reason I was hoping to put that folder you mentioned on the new external SSD (containing all my Wavelab stuff) was so that if I’m working on one computer, and want to save a new preset I’ve set up, that new preset would be available on my other computer as soon as I connect my SSD without having to copy and paste “/Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/WaveLab (…)/” every time I come up with a new preset.
Were you saying that the folder has to be in the same location in the Library on all computers? I notice in a Justin Perking Workflow Tutorial that he dragged the folder from the Library into his Favorites sidebar which made me wonder if the location wasn’t important and Wavelab would find my preferences and presets wherever they were.
I was also exploring the Library and found Masterig presets in Library/Audio/Presets/Steinberg Media Technologies/Masterig . I thought everything was in the " /Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/WaveLab (…)/" folder?
Thank you for your help also on a number of occasions in the past. I appreciate it.

AFAIK, the Preferences folder can’t be on your external drive, and needs to be in the Library.

There is an experimental setting (in my opinion) that lets you perhaps save your Preferences folder in another place like Dropbox or a cloud so that two computers can access the same settings. I’m not sure if this setting can work on an external drive as well.

See attached.

Maybe PG can weigh in, or you can try it.

What I do is just consider my main Mac Pro my “master” computer and any time I change something or add a new setting, I just make a copy of my Preferences folder, zip it up, store it on Dropbox, and then manually overwrite the WaveLab Preferences folder on my laptop (secondary machine) and then things are in sync on both computers.

This keeps all my WaveLab Preferences in sync.

It’s important to note that most Plugin Presets (different than Master Section Presets or other internal WaveLab Presets) are stored outside the WaveLab Preferences folder so those folders need to be backed up and transferred manually as well.

Thanks for your reply Justin.

Your method of having a main computer and a secondary one is how I am working. I was thinking of doing what you described - copying the Preferences folder from the main computer (iMac) each time there is a change and overriding the laptop version when I go to use it. It feels a bit more certain than the experimental setting.

[quote=“Justin_Perkins, post:15, topic:113880”]
It’s important to note that most Plugin Presets (different than Master Section Presets or other internal WaveLab Presets) are stored outside the WaveLab Preferences folder so those folders need to be backed up and transferred manually as well.
[/quote] - Are these Plugin Presets you are referring to non-Wavelab Plugins? My Focusrite and Melda Production presets as well as Wavelab Masterig presets are in “Username/Library/Audio/Presets”. Is that what I will need to back up and transfer? At the moment I am only using Wavelab Plugins but may try out the others sometime.

Thanks for your help in this forum and also your Workflows videos - I refer to them all the time!

This isn’t an area I’ve really experimented with much, but on my systems, the actual plugin presets in the VST3 preset menu of (most) plugins, the preset files are stored in the two locations shown in the attached screen shot.

On is in the main Mac Library, one is the User Library. This is also where your “Default Setting” for plugins are stored. This is a new feature for WaveLab 11 and the default preset for a given VST3 plugin is actually an invisible file but anyway…

I find that most plugin preset files are stored in these two places:

Thanks Justin - that’s helpful. I haven’t had the need so far to spend much time finding where this stuff is stored but now I’m trying to avoid issues when swapping between computers.
I also mentioned earlier that I am wanting to copy everything from the external hard drive (named “1TB”) to a new SSD. Will Wavelab be able to find everything? Eg a montage location appears at the moment as “/Volumes/1TB/ etc…” Do I have to name the new SSD “1TB” or can I instruct Wavelab where to find everything (and how do you do this)? I’m aware that if you don’t have these file paths accurately written, Wavelab can’t locate them. For example - When trying to save a montage I was getting “please enter a valid path” until I discovered that there was a space between two characters that was easy to miss. Deleted the space and everything was fine.
It’s a big learning curve for me and this forum has been excellent!

If your audio files are relative to the montage file path, WaveLab should find them, whatever their location.
But to put all chances on your side, then yes, it is better also to call your partition “1TB”.

When I work on my secondary setup, I just put the projects in my Dropbox Sync/Studio B folder and I have no problem opening projects between the two computers, because all the files that the montage is looking for are contained in the same folder as the .mon file and not farther upstream so WaveLab and MacOS find them easily and are not considered missing files.

The same is true for when I move projects to my archive hard disk system and need to reopen them. Everything opens easily because of the way the files are initially stored in my file structure system.