Backup Project

Hello folks.

How do you move a wavelab project between computers?

I have a project with 4 file groups, several montages, and about 15 audio files. Every media file and montage is stored on the same folder: the project’s folder.

As a test, I copied and moved the project to another folder. When I open it, the montage and audio files “point” to their original location (which shows in wavelab´s title bar). I don´t want this. I want the montages to open from the project’s new location. The reason is, if I move the folder to another computer, the montages and audio files show a red overlay that says “file not found”.

On this topic, the manual says that:

“You can save your complete production as a project and open it on any WaveLab Pro workstation. For this, the source files must be available on the target workstation at the same relative or absolute path.”

So my question is: How do I set up the project to store relative paths instead of absolute ones?

The manual mentions nothing about it.

Isnt there a function like Cubase’s “Back up project”?

This should work as you exoect. However a miss has been detected if you use superclips. Is that your case?
This problem is fixed in next patch.

Hello,

No, I’m not using superclips. It’s just audios and a montage.

I first thought you were mentioning files referenced by audio montages. In that case, it works.
But files referenced by projects are not relative, absolute paths are used. Hence your problem.
I will fix this for next patch. However, this will only work for newly saved project, because some extra information need to be saved.

Hello PG,

Thanks for the info.
So:

1. When will this next patch be released? I´m writing an online Wavelab Course for VonKelemen (www.vonkelemen.org), and would love the videos to include a method to move projects between computers.
  2. Whats the easiest method you recommend for moving entire projects between Wavelab workstations? I´d like our students to be able to share their projects on the virtual classroom for analysis an discussion. And furthermore, I´d like to be able to backup my harddrive, without all my Wavelab Projects getting messed up.

Thank you for your time!

BTW,

This issue is happening on Wavelab 9.5.35 build152

I asked a guy (he´s on this forum) thats been using wavelab since version 3 and he doesnt use projects. I´ve been using it for 2 years, and since a couple of months I´ve been storing everything in neatly lookin projects, thinking that they were so convenient, until I tried to move one to another location in my harddrive. What a nightmare it is to have to reload every single tab and montage.

Is there an easy way to move them?

9.5.40 is planned for end of october.

Whats the easiest method you recommend for moving entire projects between Wavelab workstations

Aside audio files, you should copy the settings
Windows: \AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 9.5
Mac: /Users/YourName/Library/Preferences/WaveLab Pro 9.5/

Is there an easy way to move them?

With 9.5.40, the easy way, would be to move them to where they were originally saved. Then to save them again. Then they can be moved.

1. Why should I copy the settings? What happens if I don´t?
  2. So, under this 9.5.4 patch, to move a project, you save a copy via File>Save As copy? To move the project, I move the WPR?

What if I want the project to be self contained? Can I move the folder, so all the media files and montages are moved along the WPR file?

Thanks!

1. Why should I copy the settings? What happens if I don´t?

This is only if you have presets used by your project. Else, this is not necessary.

1. So, under this 9.5.4 patch, to move a project, you save a copy via File>Save As copy? To move the project, I move the WPR?

No, not “save as copy”. From 9.5.4 you have nothing to do if it is a new project.
But if it is an old project, then move it to the place where it was originally saved (so that you can open it, simply). Then save it again (overwrite it). Then after quitting WaveLab, you can move the folder with all its child files.

Hi @PG, how is this update coming along?

How will the project backup function work?

Thank you!

9.5.40 will be available in about 4 weeks.