Balance pan muting the sounds on a mono track

Ok, how about taking a screen shot of the mixer with the input bus, the audio track and then the output bus, and make sure that the routing is visible on all three. And take the screen shot when you’re playing so we can see signals on the meters.

And when you try this make sure of course that you have absolutely nothing else going on - no other tracks.

I am not stupid. All the signal meters are fine they ALL look normal. If they didn’t I would have mentioned it. There are no inserts anywhere either active or inactive.

I could of sworn I provided those screenshots earlier.

I’m not seeing screenshots with signals . And I don’t think you’re stupid of course, so I hope you didn’t take my comments that way. We kind of have to see the entire chain in one screenshot or one set of shots with signals on meters in order to see what the problem is.

This is how it looks when I record. Set up as you wanted earlier. Mono Mono Stereo. It does exactly the same when I remove the stereo in and have the mono only. I can only hear the guitar acoustically, not in the headphones until I move the pan.

I am kind of new to this game so I take it by routing you mean inserts and as you can see, there are none active or inactive.

The first image was taken during recording.

Thanks for those screenshots.

It seems to me that the problem isn’t within Cubase but outside of it, which would mean the interface and/or the interface’s mixer/software if there is one. Hopefully someone else who uses it can help you out, I don’t really know much about it.

I made a note of it’s settings and tried changing some of them for the interface, nothing worked. I even tried to reinstall it’s drivers, I do hope it’s not the interface that’s broken.

I’m not getting any errors on the internal testing for the interface.

I’m getting similar latency with the motherboards line in so I might try that for now, not the ideal option.

OK so now I know what was going on. You can actually call me an idiot now.

The problem was my headphone adaptor wasn’t working properly, My headphones have a 3.5mm jack on them and my interface has a 6.35mm for the socket, and the adaptor I used was not working right.

I’m really sorry for all the trouble I have caused through my own stupidity.

1 Like

Wow, you two covered a lot of territory fast.

Yeah I tend to think so too. But I can’t really come up with how you could get the phase cancellation out of a mono signal. It kind of implies the problem is on the playback end. Maybe one of the speakers has its wires flipped or something like that. But something like that would cause the cancellation to change when your head position changes.

Let’s try an experiment. Can you stick the Test Tone Generator on an Insert for the Track. No need to record it. Does changing the Pan position effect the test tone too?

Oh great, glad you got it sorted out. FWIW those kinds of problems are often the hardest to track down.

I do despise those tiny plugs they use on headphones now-a-days.

lol… no worries. Trust me, even those of us working as engineers for a living end up missing the most “obvious” things at times. Well, only obvious once we find out what it was…

Glad you got it sorted.

Nah, this is not you being an idiot. These kind of issues are amongst the toughest to find out. Glad to hear it’s all sorted now.