Band-in-a-Box

Forgive me for veering slightly off topic, but I wasn’t sure where else to turn.
I recently purchased Band-in-a-Box so I can demo some jazz tunes I’ve written. I’m sure it can do everything I want it to do, but every time I open it up my eyes glaze over and I quickly close the program without accomplishing anything.
When I began using Dorico, I found it very helpful to take a few lessons with Dan. I’m wondering if any of you know–or are–BIAB teachers who could help me get up to speed with the program.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Greg

Hi. I am not sure how much compatible Dorico is with BIAB: Dorico doesn’t sent tempo information (yet), and this might be compulsory to use BIAB…

1 Like

If it’s just tutorials on BIAB then PGMusic support page has a raft of tutorials:- PG Music - Support
I use BIAB so drop me a line if you need to know anything specific.

2 Likes

Yes, Biab at first sight is overwhelming.
They really should do a thorough remake.
De pgmusic website offer lots of tutorials as Tony mentioned.
Free up a morning and dive in , it’s also a fun program

1 Like

Hello community!

Are there any news about the (improved?) implementation of Band in a box (I have version 2022) in Dorico 5.1? Are there any tutorial videos/ help how to integrate the Band in a box - DAW (Dorico) integration and how to import any Band in a box Midi files into Dorico? Thanks for your help!

lol that’s a 20-year-old complaint :slight_smile:

I don’t know if it helps, but I generally import the MIDI to Cubase and edit the midi data there. I find the List editor and the Logical editor useful for simplifying and tweaking before importing to Dorico.

1 Like

BIB has a vst comppnent that can be used. I use BIB for rhythm section stuff. I simply save each part as a separate midi file and import them into my Dorico score. Here is an example of BIB drums imported into a Dorico composition"

I can’t help too much right now but I wanted to pipe in so the thread gets tagged and followed on my feed.

So for, I’ve been running BIAB 2024…
I just save MIDI files and import them to Dorico from there.

I haven’t bothered with the BIAB VSTplugin in Dorico yet. I tried it some in Cubase 12/13, but found it easier to just tap the DAW mode buttion in BIAB stand alone, and drag and drop right to Cubase tracks, and set up an instrument chain there (I get more control over it this way, which was the point of opening a DAW).

I believe it’s possible to Drag and Drop to Dorico, but I haven’t taken a close look yet, as I assume Dorico will take me through similar steps as importing a full MIDI file anyway. I’ve found it convenient to just pull in an entire MIDI arrangement that I’d exported from BIAB in one go, as opposed to trying to integrate things one track at a time.

Dorico offers load of ‘options’ when importing MIDI. It’s getting really good at importing MIDI, and setting up the conditions you’d like Dorico to apply (or change to something different while importing).

1 Like