Bar line position

Hello,
I have a three-part choral piece in free-time but since it is long, I was advised to have a short bar line in particular places depending on lyric words and phrases. I did search around and every time I input the bar line at a particular place in the score, the bar line always ends up at the very end (to the right) of the staff line. The bar line simply does not stay where I want it to. See the screenshot pls.
Thank you in advance.
I

Do you want the bar lines in all staves?

You could try some hidden time signatures where you want bar lines?

Well, ATM it’s one very long stave for each voice. I simply would like Short bar lines in specific places do denote phrasing of words. It will also help singers orient themselves. I’m not sure why it it always places the bar line at the very end of each staff line. That means I can only have one bar/phrase in the staff line. Not sure why it’s doing that.

I think there could be a step missing. I’ve been doing something similar lately and had it working fine.

Are you able to attach the file? And maybe say where you want the bar lines?

Hi Daniel,

Thank you. I just tried using these short or dashed bar lines in a new document and it did work fine. But, here is the document. Let me know if you can find anything.
Best,
I

Got it, with great deal of luck. This option needs to be checked in the SETUP tab at it works.
Hope it helps someone.
Best,
I

1 Like

By the way: if you do end up with a case of legitimately needing a short (or tick) barline at the end of a stave as in the screenshot above, you can fake indent them by adding entering extra beats with insert mode (essentially, a hidden bar of 1/4) and then removing the rests. Click on the first note of the next measure, press shift-m plus 1q, change the barline to dashed and change the dash length to zero, and then remove rests.

Eventually I hope we will get engraving offset values for these partial barlines when they appear at the end of a stave as this is standard and they are too easily missed otherwise. But I know the team is already aware of this request.

1 Like

Thank you, Romanos!