Bar repeats and articulations not continuing?

I swear this was working yesterday (maybe I had cotton in my ears), but I saved, did a reboot of the computer and reloaded. Today in a bar repeat the articulation is getting lost during the bar repeat. Here’s the music

Here’s the MIDI

Either the Natural switch (the bar repeat section) shouldn’t be there, or if it’s just the playback engine knowing the right thing to do (e.g. just loop the previous section) it seems to not be working now. I’m using VEP and watching the articulation changes, and both by ear and visually it’s switching the Timpani from “Hits Soft” back to “Hits”

I don’t know what your playback technique looks like, but I’d guess this is the same as the situation with tied trems yesterday. The
front of the playing technique, or the key switch or whatever that turns it on, isn’t in the bar that’s being repeated. You can probably work around it by putting another soft PT over the repeat bars (and hiding from the properties panel).

1 Like

Yeah I was wondering that. Again I swear this was working but maybe it was a fluke. Yes this is part of the background of this piece so the timpani also does a lot of repeats.

Well good idea, here’s what I get

Since the bar repeat is a number of measures it only supports a single bar PT (it considers the repeat a single object), but regardless the playback technique isn’t working still, presumably due to it recognizing that a repeat isn’t the same type of object as MIDI notes?

It can be hidden no problem but makes no difference in the MIDI either way

This is a pickle. This MIDI will be going out to Cubase for tracking and final mastering so I can fix the glitch there, but seems like an edge case. I’d be curious if one of the team has a comment on this situation.

Does it work correctly if the “soft” is only over bar 4, not half of bar 3? If so, I can probably think up a workaround.

You are a genius at Dorico Leo, of that there is no doubt.

Here’s what I did (added a comment to myself later about the issue)

Which is really odd

Ah wait, getting rid of the hidden soft gives this (yay!) which seems to be the fix, but then add a soft over the first two notes or something … ?

What if you have your “soft–|” starting in bar 3 as originally, and the hidden “extra” soft at the start of bar 4?

1 Like

Yes! Lillie that does it - like all great solutions so obvious in retrospect.

Smashing! I know you’re focused on playback etc at the moment, but I wonder whether the duration line with the hook might imply the PT only applies to those first 6 notes - perhaps something ending in an arrow (or even without a line at all) might convey what you want a bit more definitively.

1 Like

No thanks for the feedback! I’m on a tight schedule so it’s trying to “do it right once” so yeah juggling it all (and we’re hoping for budget later for live)

That is better, but only with a following repeat I think? For regular usage (hitting a few notes then going back to regular hits or something) I think I’ll still want the hook option.

I’ll admit it doesn’t look great to my eye, but then I’m not a percussionist.

Yeah, but you can override the hook on a case by case basis from the properties panel. I think I’d leave it open (with an arrow or something) if you want the “soft” to continue into repeat bars.

1 Like

Yes, that suggestion was specific to this situation where it’s continuing but notated using bar repeats - honestly just hiding the duration line here and showing only the text “soft” might be the simplest and cleanest solution.

2 Likes

Thanks to you both, yes Lillie I’ll do that as it’s probably best, clean and the indication is obvious.

Quick question, what’s the “sim.” - similiar?

And “Line” is simply the line style if one is defined, or a straight line otherwise?

It’s short for “simile” so basically yeah. And yes “Line” for “Continuation type” shows the duration line defined for the playing technique, unless you override it and change the line to something else for that one instance.

1 Like

I have a similar problem. I have a drum voice where I have repeat regions. But the snare drum won’t play in the repeat regions. Bass drum plays perfectly.
What do you need to help?

You need to attach the project itself.