Barline feature request V3

Hello,
While I’m sure we’d all love to be able to split and join barlines whenever and wherever we want, I wouldn’t be surprised if we will still have to wait a while for that. One lovely compromise in the meantime would be an additional option for “barline mirrors bracketing” (with a more elegant wording; to complement to “barline joins all staves”).

I frequently find myself a bit flummoxed as for best practices when working on psalms. Sometimes I have a melody with accompaniment, in which case, no problem. But if I have a melody line with SATB underneath, then things become a bit trickier. In the middle, I need the staves to not connect (to not collide with lyrics) but I would love it if at the end of the refrain, a final barline could follow the bracketing. As it is now, I can either not connect any barlines or connect them all which appears odd to my eye. Options to either follow bracketing or sub bracketing (at that barline only!) would solve this for me.

Thanks!

(Heck, I’d even go for an engraving option for “barline at the end of staves mirrors bracketing”.)

Romanos, am I being particularly dense or have you missed the Change Barline Joins function?

Your options are: Notation Options > Barlines > Barlines at end of each System / Flow.

That doesn’t suffice, I’m afraid. The refrain, while it “ends” the music, isn’t actually the end of the flow, as far as Dorico is concerned. There are verses that appear after the refrain. (And even then, the special option is to “join all staves” which is precisely what I’m trying to avoid.)

(To recap, I want to join some staves at the end, but not all. If I make a barline change, it affects the whole stave; I only want it to affect the barline at the end of the affected staves, hence my request to allow the final barline of chosen staves to mirror bracketing.)

1 Like

Hrmph.
By way of a workaround: what happens if you start off with independent meters applied individually to each staff, then a global one added at the end of the system? Then set the option for coincident barlines not joining in polymetric music. That might give you what you want. On the other hand, it might not - I’ve not tried it.

(I must confess, with a small chuckle, that I almost consider it a feather in my cap to have stumped you pianoleo!) :upside_down_face:

Scratch that - it doesn’t work (as you’ve presumably discovered). You’re welcome to your feather, Romanos :wink:

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but this is exactly what I am looking for at the moment.Three problems I have:

1. I’m preparing a publication for a customer and want to have the same result as Romanos401 requested for the final barline of a system.
  2. Also my customer wants to have special barlines (e.g. repeats, double barlines) joined like the brackets, even if the normal barlines don’t join. Would love to have more options and ways for individual changes of the appearance of barlines.
  3. In one flow I need a double barline before a repeat sign at a system break and in another he only wants a single barline. Perhaps the option to write a double or single barline at a system break before a repeat could be moved to the notations options to change this for each flow individually or to have a possibility to override to global preference.
1 Like

Have you recommended counseling for the customer before the customer’s demands send you to seek out a therapist? :open_mouth:

(I suppose the line tool might offer some possibilities, but it sounds like a lot of work.)

Sorry to bump this again, just wanted to say that I ran into this same problem on a project today. I’m renotating an acappella vocal piece from a 20th-century source. I need barlines not to connect between staves most of the time, but I want several instances of double barlines that span all staves. These occur at a number of section breaks throughout the piece, so just using “connect barline at end of last system in flow” is no good. In theory, if I can format it such that every double bar occurs at a system break, I could split the piece into multiple flows to force this to do the job, but that obviously wouldn’t always work, and it would take plenty of extra time to reformat what I’ve already done across multiple flows. Here’s a bad scan of the source I’m working from, with split barlines except at the double bar:

My current workflow is to export a PDF from Dorico, then open the file in a vector graphics editor to adjust the barlines manually. I also make some edits to the incipit at the start of the piece since Dorico doesn’t yet allow me to get the incipit how I want it to look without other edits. I long for the day I can do this all within Dorico!

That said, the new insert mode functionality saved me several minutes during note input on this project, and the library manager helped me import settings from a previous project I had done! I’m loving all the great changes from 4.0 :slight_smile:

1 Like

A few months ago to my delight I found a property at the end of Time Signatures that says Barline joins all staves. It works for me for this case, with or without a system break.

But that is not working for the case @im_a_roc is asking for: joint barlines for special barlines like repeats or double barlines. And they should be joint no matter, if they are at the end of a system or in the middle of a system.

What version? It works for me, on both double and repeat barlines, in both 3.5 and 4.

Yes, but it is “all or nothing”. Look at this setting. In this double choir (for brass instruments), I (or better to say one of my customers) want the special barlines and the last barline to join like the brackets. So far I didn’t find a way to achieve this.
All:

Nothing:

But of course you are right: @im_a_roc 's simple case is possible, @Mark_Johnson .

1 Like

Thank you both, that property is good to know about and will cover me for this project. But like @HeiPet said, heaven forbid I add a piano reduction to this score, because then I can’t get the vocal staves to bar together without also connecting to the reduction, which I wouldn’t want.

I still run into this too. My current workflow is to extend the appropriate barlines in affinity publisher.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I’m doing, it’s the perfect program for quick fixes like that (but it breaks my heart every time I find an edit I want to make to the score and have to go through both programs again).

Amen to that.

Sometimes I just open the edited version up next to the original and marquee select and copy & paste specific staves from the new score back into the AP file. But I confess: more than once I’ve thought to myself, “that’s just… gonna stay there…” because I didn’t want to deal with the hassle of it.

1 Like