Basso continuo with Dorico.

Hello,
my use of Dorico is quite limited.
The reason is to refer to the fact that most of the scores that I transcribe come from manuscripts of the Baroque period and therefore there is a need to also insert the basso continuo which, at the moment, Dorico does not manage.
In your prediction, when will the possibility of inserting the basso continuo with Dorico be implemented?
I also saw Fugato, but I would prefer it to be an implementation inserted directly into Dorico, rather than an external plug-in.

Times007

No one knows when Figured Bass will be implemented. In fact, the team itself may not be completely sure on the topic; but it is on their to-do list. Needless to say, when one beholds the care that was put into chord symbols, harp pedals, etc…, it will be well worth the wait and will likely have some unique features such as having a cello/bassi part layout option to not show the figures, and the possibility of having figures transpose intelligently, as well as a variety of conventions to deal with altered intervals in Engraving Options. But those are just my suppositions: I don’t know any more than you do!

So it will be worth the wait, but there is still a wait. IN the meantime, since I do a fair amount of Monteverdi–>Handel repertoire, I have used Figurato with great success. But that’s not all I do, so when I have a baroque score to do, I simply don’t want to use another software only because of figured bass, but that;s just me …

Just to be clear, Figurato (not Fugato) is not a “plugin,” it is just a font which uses the same standard features of any font on your computer. For example in any (good quality) text font, if you type “fi” the font actually creates one character not two, to produce better quality output. The Figurato font uses the same technology to convert text like “7b5” or “64+3” into standard figured bass notation. You simply enter the figures (and symbols for flats, sharps, etc) into Dorico as lyrics, and change the lyrics font to Figurato. You can edit the figures, copy and paste them, etc, exactly the same as for any other lyrics. You don’t have to “run a plugin” before you see the correct output, as with some other notation software.

I fully agree with Claude’s and Rob’s posts above. I also use Dorico almost exclusively for Baroque music and have not yet run into BC-issues which Figurato couldn’t manage.

Times007, I assume you are already aware of the “big” Basso Continuo-thread on this forum:

Hello everyone.
Yes, in fact it is not a plug-in but a font (error).
I tried to use it and I found myself very well, even if working in a group that does not use fugato and does not use Dorico, I have had to avoid, for the moment.
I also thank for the link to the topic concerning the BC, frankly I hadn’t read it yet and I found the information contained very interesting.
I sincerely thank you for the information you have given me.

Times007

A quick thought, on a more general note (newbie to the church here - just bought Elements in the recent sale :slight_smile:)…

In light of those last comments, if the group that @times007 works in all had a copy of Dorico SE installed, could they at least successfully view/print the scores prepared from @times007…? Or would they all need this ‘Figurato’ font to be added as well.? (just thinking out loud, how a ‘limited/shared workflow’ might be had from this situation…)

Bob

They would need to install the Figurato font as well, but that’s no big deal since it is also free. (You could share PDFs if you don’t want to worry about fonts.)