Batch-change note values and omit rests

I feel like selecting this real-time recorded section…

…and pressing “5” should give me all eighths. Shouldn’t all 16ths become 8ths, overwriting the 16th rests?

Here, I’m pressing 6 first, which acts as I expect… then Undo, and press 5.

If the 16th rests are selected, you can’t convert them to eighths and simultaneously convert the 16th notes to eighths.

I do agree with you, though - it feels odd that this doesn’t work.

Yeah I figured that was the case, I just don’t like it. And I think it would generally not be the preferred behavior if a user is selecting a group of notes/rests and pressing a single number to make them rhythmically homogenous. Perhaps if Insert mode was on, it would make sense. Here, I think the 8ths should overwrite the rests.

Don’t know if this would help, but selecting the primary beam of the figures and pressing 4 will create a consistent sixteenth-rest pattern because it only chooses the noteheads without the rests. The trick is to select just the multiples that contain a sixteenth without also incorporating the solid-eighth pairs too. Select More will grab the eighth pairs as well as additional sixteenth-rest-eighth pairs.

Just quantise it to eighths.

…which is what I would expect to do by pressing 5. No menu clicking for me if I can help it!

Well try selecting the passage, shortening to something shorter then longer, e.g. select then 4 5

You could use Write → Edit Duration → Extend to Next Note, which works even if there are intervening rests selected, and should offer the same result if the notes are spaced apart by eighth notes.

3 Likes

What about after selecting everything:
Filter-> Notes and Chords (=rests get deselected?)
then hit the 5?