Batch Rename - how to remove a text string?

I’m trying to use Batch Rename to rename (duh) a bunch of clips. Currently they all have a suffix " PM" appended to the end of the name. I’m probably missing something obvious but I can’t get this to work like I want. Rather than just removing the PM string it also removes every instance of the individual letters so for example “Project1 PM” becomes “roject1”

The Batch Rename function has a lot of options but I can’t seem to find one that removes a text string and only the string.

I must admit I have mostly done file renaming with a free Windows program called “Bulk Rename Utilty”, and have never actually used the Wavelab tool. However I just did a quick tryout in Wavelab on the example you gave.

I made a couple of files called "Project 1 PM.wav " and "Project 2 PM.wav " and was able to get the output files “Project 1. wav’” and “Project 2.wav”

I did this in the Operation Window of the Rename utility by using ‘Remove’ and in the ‘Type’ drop-down used ‘Surrounded Text’ and made the left character ‘P’ and the right character ‘M’

Didn’t really understand what I was doing but it seemed to work :slight_smile:

Thanks, I’ll give it a try when I get back to DAWville

Humm, you must have set something a bit differently. I tried using the Surrounded Text which mostly worked except when there was a “P” character earlier in the string. FYI I’m renaming Clips not Files but expect that shouldn’t make any difference.

3 examples
“Stranded in LA PM” became “Stranded in LA” - as wanted
“Start Pretending PM” became "Start " - wrong
“Planet Earth PM” became “” - yep a null string, wrong

However I was able to use the Table Replace to change every occurrence of “PM” to a space " " - oddly it made me include something in the replacement column, I couldn’t let that be empty so I used a space. However one of the Rename presets removes trailing spaces that cleaned those results up. So it took 2 replacement passes, but they were both quick & easy.

You can do as follows. The “magic” is the string
" PM$" which means, " PM" at the end of the name.

Ahhh, got it.

Thanks PG