Beam groupings in 4/4

hi ! is there an option in dorico 4 to reset the 8th note beam groupings in groups of 2 instead of 4 ? i’m obviously missing something on the note groupings tab, and when i double click (mac) and choose ‘reset beam groupings’ nothing happens. i can do it manually, but i’m sure i’m missunderstanding something . thanks !

Welcome to the forum @Holly_arsenault !

You can change how notes are beamed by default in each flow in your project, in Library > Notation Options > Beam Grouping. There’s an option for whether each 4/4 bar contains two sets of 4 eighth note beams, or four sets of 2 eighth note beams.

The “Reset Beam Grouping” command on the Edit menu is for when you’ve used the other options on that menu to control beam grouping at a local level, and want to reset them back to what your Notation Options have set as the default.

@Lillie_Harris
Can we get the same result with the popup shift +[M] and have possibility to have sometimes 2+2+2+2 and sometimes 4+4

I’ve not managed so far, [1+1+1+1]/4 does not work well. [1+2+1]/4 does.
Dorico seems to have, currently, a set of rules that allow one or the other.
(There are a lot of good ideas to be taken from the ba-command in Amadeus, which is totally flexible, for Dorico. Perhaps in a future version.)

@Mats_Frendahl
Thanks for the confirmation, I came to the same conclusion: not yet a unified method

1 Like

I had the same recently. I would have expected [1+1]/4 to create 2x2 8th note beaming but Dorico ignored it. It could only be achieved in Notation Options.

hi, lillie . . .

thanks so much for your reply ! what am i missing ? i’ve been going into notation options > beam grouping and selecting what i want :

Screen Shot 2023-03-17 at 2.17.40 PM|690x431

but still end up with this :

beams.pdf (55.9 KB)

thanks,

holly

@Holly_arsenault
Are you sure that you not have once do beaming together? try with right click on your four notes>beaming>reset beaming
With your config we batain what it does but as said before could be great do do with [1+1+1+1+1]/4

sorry, still not getting it . could someone please post screenshots of each part of the process ? none of these options have worked for me, which tells me i’m missing something obvious .

i’m able to do it manually, but it’s tedious . i’d just like to be able to set it globally .

thanks, everyone !

cheers,

holly

@Holly_arsenault
is your music already written or not?

• If it is not written yet, with the “beaming grouping” configuration of the right parity of my printscreen, it should be written automatically ok
  • If the music is already on and there is a problem with the same configuration as above then there is a beaming interfering and it must be removed by selecting the 4 8ths and doing “reset beaming”

But don’t pull your hair out (if you still have it) and send your file or I’ll make a gif.

hi, dup !

thanks . . . i just went back and started a new test project and ticked and unticked the boxes in the ‘beam grouping’ of the notations tab, and that seems to have worked . . . a baby step in the right direction !

my hair lives to see another day . haha .

cheers,

holly

1 Like

I am having the same issue as Holly. Reset Beaming doesn’t seem to do anything. And even when I manually change the beaming and, as an experiment, do Reset Beaming, it stays the way I manually beamed notes instead of reverting. So, even a change of options doesn’t change the beaming automatically.

I’m wondering if it has to do with importing a Finale XML file from the composer, who would do this:

Have you also checked that the options are set appropriately on the Beam Grouping page of Notation Options?

hi, gplumblee and everyone !

for what it’s worth, here’s what seems to have worked for me. . . i had been working in dorico from scratch on this , so i can’t speak to importing finale, and my main issue was with subdividing cut time into quarter beat boundaries, but this seems to have done the trick, so hope some of this is useful :

1.open notation options (shift/ command/N on Mac)
2. go to 'beam grouping ( l.h. menu )

make your way through 'beam grouping 'preferences (r.h. side)

1. note that the preferences for 4/4 and those for cut time aren’t the same thing (.this surprised me !!)

2. create a cut -time time signature for one bar, and use ‘edit’ > notations> beaming> split beam to customize it .

3. make the following bar 4/4

6.open the properties panel at the bottom of the page and select 'hide time signature '.

hope some of this relates to your issue !

![edit : notations : beaming |690x431](upload:/

good luck !

holly

This is a case where using the new option in Notation options>Note Grouping would solve the problem instantly. No need to split beams.

3 Likes

ooh ! is this in the latest incarnation of dorico ? i’m somewhere in dorico 4.3 . . . thanks for sharing !

holly

Yes, this was added in Dorico 5.

1 Like