beaming issue

Hi all,

So in the attached (from the first movement of Bach’s D minor harpsichord concerto BWV1052), I started writing on the score without having edited the notation preferences for the Flow. In Bach’s manuscript the beams are broken across the beat boundaries no mater what, so I went into the notation prefs and changed every setting I could find to “break across the beat boundaries”

However, it has not updated my score. I’m guessing it might be down to the time signature (split compound), however I should be able to break the beams right?

When I go to do it manually though I run into some problems - if I select a note that is part of a beat tied across the bar then it selects the entire tied note value, so I can’t “beam together” that tied quaver with the following semi-quavers.

Any thoughts? Is prefs thing a bug? Any way beaming could be a little more intuitive?

Best
Edd

Have you tried to write [1+1+1+1]/4 in the popover when writing the meter (in the popover when you hit shift+M), instead of 4/4 (the brackets are important) ?

it’s a compound time signature, so no… is there a way to write a compound time signature this way?

By compound time signature, you mean cut c ? Excuse-me, I am french, this is a very specific jargon, and I thought compound time was for 6/8, 9/8, 12/8…
Anyway, there already has been a discussion about cutting beams at each quarter in cut c, this is a problem right now, but I remember Daniel said an option could be included to allow for automatic beaming as you wish, in due course, in notation options. What you can do now is select each group you want to beam together and apply the “Beam together” edit (in edit menu, or ctrl-click menu, or better : create a cmd-b shortcut !)
Sorry I could not give you a better answer !

Yes cut c. monsieur, de rein :slight_smile:

c’est utile savoir que c’été deja parlé de. Merci pour votre aide! Je ne peut pas “Beam together” parce que je ne peus choisir pas le note seul comme j’ai dis :slight_smile:

No need to apologise for your wonderful english when you see my french!

If you are in cut-c, the beaming follows the beat, I would say. A beat lasts half a bar, right?

Actually, the method with “Beam together” does work, but only in Engrave mode — see picture attached. I wonder why, in Write mode, when we apply the ties, it beams back by half notes. This is not helpful !

In Dorico, the length of a “note” is “what you hear when you play it”. It is only split up into separate notes and ties (if necessary) when it is drawn in the score. If you add notes to the score in insert mode, the note will be automatically split up in a different way if it starts at a different position in the bar.

This is different from other notation programs where each of the tied notes is a separate “note” and you have to create the correct notation yourself.

In Write mode, you can only select the complete “tie chain” that represents the full length of the “note”. In Engrave mode, you can select each part of the notation separately.

So, you can’t split a beam in the middle of a tie chain in Write mode, but you can do that in Engrave mode.

Well, Rob, I suggest you try and write the same thing I copied up there (in cutc meter). I assure you it is absolutely not normal that Dorico re-beams automatically in write mode, and it has nothing to do with how Dorico sees tied notes (which I love, by the way).

Not if Bach didn’t, no.

That’s handy to know, thank you, but a bit frustrating to have to do it afterwards, in engrave mode, when I would ideally like to be correct as I go along working from manuscript

One day I hope we will have a means of specifying beaming as part of note input, so you won’t need to go back and alter this retrospectively. I’m afraid it’s not imminent, however.

Hi,
I am just trying Dorico 2 for the first time and so far love the program but had run into this infuriating beaming issue as well so I assume that it has not been fixed yet. I am a seasoned Sibelius user and solving beaming issues is an easy matter to just enter new groupings for the meter. I mostly write in meters other than 4/4 so being able to specify the beat groupings is an essential part of my work flow when starting a new composition.
While trying the program I have wasted hours trying to solve this issue when beaming in 6/4. I want to beam so that each beat grouping is clear. It seems that Dorico asummes 6/4 is a compound time and beams accordingly. I tried copying a fragment into other meters and the correct beaming only occurs in 4/4 and 3/4. Can this be solved?
I want to jump ship but this is a major issue as I need to see the music notated correctly from the start.

What kind of beat grouping do you want to see in 6/4? 6 crotchet/quarter beats? If so, try entering [1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 into the Shift+M popover.

Thanks Daniel, I have done that and it seems to work, although when I cut and paste some beaming is removed. But I am not clear on how to have the score show 6/4 rather than 1+1+1+1+1+1/4 in Engrave mode as far as I could see from other posts but haven’t got it happening yet. It would be useful to have beaming by the meter grouping or a specific beat value ie 1/4 note. I am using 6/4 as a meter with 6 individual beats rather than as a compound meter so any beaming which groups the beams into 3 crotchets is annoying. I want the beaming to show individual 1/4 note grouping like it would in 3/4 or 4/4.
I often write in odd meters for example a 13/8 meter where the beat grouping might be 2+2+2+3+2+2 and having the beams reflect that grouping would save much time.
Cheers, Tom

Tom,

I am not 100% sure if I understand what you were confused by… but it sounds like maybe you have 1+1+1+1+1+1/4 showing in the score and you want 6/4 showing? If so, add the square brackets ([ and ]) around the addition part, and that will show you 6/4 (it will add all of the 1s together). So [1+1+1+1+1+1]/4 will display 6/4. Same as [2+2+2+3+2+2]/8 will produce the 13/8, but it will beam in the grouping you did within the square brackets ([ and ]).

Robby