Beaming Subgroup semiquavers in 12/8

Hi! I am having trouble subgrouping semiquavers in 12/8. I want the semiquavers grouped on the quaver (ie in pairs of two). Time signature is 12/8. In Notation Options I have tried different settings but no luck. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2017-08-19 at 16.51.03.png

I’m afraid I don’t think there is a combination of settings in Notation Options that will produce the result you’re after automatically. You can select the notes that you want to be at the start of its own secondary beam and switch on the ‘Split secondary beam’ property in the Beaming group in the Properties panel, but obviously this will be a bit laborious.

I think you get what you want by typing [1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1]/8 in the popover.

There might be a downside to this approach that I’m not aware of, please let me know if so :slight_smile:
Skjermbilde 2017-08-19 kl. 23.32.38.png

Thanks for your responses!

@Daniel - A key command to split secondary beam will do for now, but I really got the impression that the Notation Options I quoted would do the trick? If not, what does it do?

@Anders - putting that in the popover doesn’t produce secondary beams but pairs the semiquavers two and two (without secondary beam). Edit: For me, that is… :open_mouth:

If you look at the attachments in the question, the “downside” is that it screws up almost everything else in the beaming! Dorico seems to have decided that [1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1]/8 only has 2 beats in a bar, which doesn’t correspond to any conventional time signature I can think of.

It does work for 3/8 time, because 3/8 has 3 beats in the bar. But 12/8 only has 4 beats in the bar, not 12.

I thought that this way it would be less laborious to get what plindblom wants because he would have to break beams only twice per bar. But it turns out that when you split one of these large beam groups in the middle, Dorico surprisingly reconnects all secondary beams from that point on. Why is that so?

Probably not the answer you want, but if you write it with 3:2 tuplets in 4/4 meter you get the beaming you want.

[quote

@Daniel - A key command to split secondary beam will do for now, but I really got the impression that the Notation Options I quoted would do the trick? If not, what does it do?

[/quote]

well, you can assign one easily, at the preferences, under Edit, as I did already (mine is ctrl P)

I would guess the secondary split point information is stored with the beam.

When you split the beam into two, the second beam gets the default formatting.

Of course you could imagine “copying” part of the split point information to the second beam , but maybe that is more complicated that it looks - for example the maybe the “second beam” might want to split itself, or combine itself with the following beam, as specified in the engraving rules … ??? (this is just a guess, I haven’t tried any experiments).