"Beauty Mark" - 2011

Decided to do a cover of one of my own! :smiley: Started this at 10am this morning… it’s now 5:30pm :astonished: Meanwhile its a beautiful sunny day out and I haven’t even stepped foot outside the door… until now… :confused:

Anyway, this is substantially different from the original version sung by Jet all those years ago.
Lyrics by Kevin Evans (aka The Dark Irish/Not)

Beauty Mark

:sunglasses:

Sounds good Ian!
Did you reuse any of the old material?
Great job putting this together in such a short time… :open_mouth:

There’s only one little thing…

Dare I say it?..

I’m not crazy about…

the snare:confused:

Sorry… :wink:

But other than that it’s a great production.
I like the electric guitars in the background. :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Wim

Hiya Ian. Good stuff. I’d agree with Wim about the snare, needs to be more pointy/snare like.
Vocal is excellent. You’ve come a long way in this respect. I remember the nervous vocalist a couple of years back. No sign of it here :sunglasses: Mix is very good too :sunglasses:

Cheers
Phil

Okay, okay… I’ve replaced the farkin snare! :smiling_imp:

:laughing:
Actually, it’s your fault. I’'m so uptight now about snares I doubted myself. I actually started out with a " more pointy/snare " but thought to myself “nah, the guys will immediately poo poo that!” so I changed it. Doh! :confused:

Cheers Wim. :smiley: No, nothing of the original in this at all. Different tempo, probably a different key(?), the arrangement is completely different and the structure is somewhat different too… and well, it’s pretty much been changed in all regards except for the lyrics and the core melody.

Vocal is excellent. You’ve come a long way in this respect. I remember the nervous vocalist a couple of years back. No sign of it here Mix is very good too

Thanks Phil :slight_smile:. Yeah…vocals I’m pretty comfortable with these days. I know what I can and can’t do with my voice and have learnt to work the best I can within those limitations. And of course singing live every week for the last 4 years has certainly paid off too -particularly in terms of confidence and being comfortable projecting out into a crowd.

I’ve also tried a few different things with the way I’m mixing it too. A little more care with EQ… I’ve detected a couple harsh spots in my voice when I get into my higher register so to make it easy, in song where theres lower parts and higher parts I now split them across two tracks and deal to my voice in slightly different ways accordingly. Also, on this one I’ve used delays and chorus and less reverb.

Hi Ian

Yes another good piece of work. I agree with Phil about your vocals. :sunglasses: Dare I say I like this version better than the other. :question:

I did listen to the version with the other snare and I like this one better. Not quite sure it is the ideal one for this tune but it is better.

My main nits are the bass sound isn’t as good as it could be IMHO and that many of the instruments could use a little eq dip at around 500hz. I think this would open up the mix a bit more. Just my opinion. (I should probably try my own advice in this respect on my own mixes though. :wink: :unamused: :laughing: )

Cheers
Dave

Hi Ian,

I like this - I don’t recall hearing any previous version. Fine acoustic guitar sounds. Great balance, Ian.

(Could be just me, but I thought I could detect a slight bit of compression pumping from about 1’04" occassionally.)

Smart stuff. :sunglasses:

(Whatever happened to Derek (Dark Irish?))

No mix comments…for now :wink:
just wanted to say how far you have come, and nicely too.

Good on you, those live shows are showing here!

Jet

Nice song, Sherz! really like the guitar work and sound (I’m a big fan of strummy and picked acoustic guitars! :wink: )

Cheers
Sav

You’re allowed to say that! :smiley: The original version seemed right and worked at the time, but over the years, and also partly due to performing this live with acoustic guitars (occasionally) I started to develop a different idea of how the song could be. So, while this is heavily produced it is based on the way I play it live.

I did listen to the version with the other snare and I like this one better. Not quite sure it is the ideal one for this tune but it is better.

Snare schmare! :laughing:

My main nits are the bass sound isn’t as good as it could be IMHO and that many of the instruments could use a little eq dip at around 500hz. I think this would open up the mix a bit more. Just my opinion. (I should probably try my own advice in this respect on my own mixes though. > :wink: > > :unamused: > > :laughing: > )

Gosh…If I take anymore 500hz out of this mix there’ll be none left at all! :astonished: I’ve already dug a big hole… :confused:

Hi Dave #2 ! :smiley: Thanks. I’ll listen out for signs of compressors overworking. Hadn’t noticed… but then there’s a lot of things I don’t notice! :laughing:

Dark Irish/Not is Kevin Evans. He don’t come round here anymore… but he lurks in other places.

uh oh… that sounds ominous… :confused:

just wanted to say how far you have come, and nicely too.

:smiley:

Cheers, I like strummy picky acoustics too! :smiley:

Nice tune, Ian. :sunglasses:

A few minor tweaks to the mix, nothing major. Just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic really. :laughing:

Must be pretty much there now I think??

this is realy good, like your vocals and a great song, nice melody .when the drums come in the timing seems to go a bit scewif but apart from that love it .

when the drums come in the timing seems to go a bit scewif

It does?? Unfortunately I’m not hearing it… what specifically do you feel is not right timing wise at that point?

Thanks for the listen and comments. :sunglasses:

hi ian , i suppose it starts around about 1.12 did you put the kit in manually or is it maybe the humanize switch ,but now ive listened a bit closer it might be the strumming on the right hand side acoustic guitar im not sure, it just has a loose (unsteady)feel ,maybe just little too loose at times .anyway still a very good song i lke it alot

Ok, I’ll get the microscope out and have another close look! :smiley:

BTW: The drumtrack was created with Jamstix 3

Ok Sherlock , but i wouldn`t worry about it, nobody else has said anything.

Oh? so you think that get’s you off the hook?? Just because everyone else is being polite?
:laughing:

:stuck_out_tongue:

sorry ian i was just nit picking ,it`s the big picture that counts and the song wins hands down.