beginner ? -- midi channel

Having spent a few hours with the manual and searching this forum, I hope I can ask a trivial beginner’s question:

How to assign a specific midi input channel to a track? Right now, it seems that all the midi channels are receiving “omni” – each one takes the midi data and sends it on to the instrument configured as a VST.

So I want:

[external midi channel 1] → Cubase track 1 → K5 instrument on slot 1, midi Channel 1.
[external midi channel 2] → Cubase track 2 → K5 instrument on slot 2, midi channel 2.
[external midi channel 3] → Cubase track 3 → K5 instrument on slot 3, midi channel 3.

Right now, I’m getting the input sent to all three K5 instruments, regardless of what channel it originates from.

(edit) only got this far by turning off “record enable” on the selected track, and turning on “monitor” on all midi tracks.

Essentially, you use either monitor or record enable to point your keyboard toward the Kontakt instrument.

How to assign a specific midi input channel to a track? Right now, it seems that all the midi channels are receiving “omni” – each one takes the midi data and sends it on to the instrument configured as a VST.

Use Input Transformer.
There are factory presets for filtering midi channels.

Thank you, looks like input transformer will work. Kinda odd to transform incoming midi channel 1 to be midi channel 1, and midi channel 2 to be midi channel 2 … but at least it does the job.

Depending on what exactly you are trying to do, there may be other way.
Use just one midi track routed to a multitimbral instrument, but set the midi channel to “Any”.
Then any incoming midi data should be sent on the channel it originally came from.

Ah, that’s better. The input transformer fooled me … seemed to work, but in fact was sending the same thing again on every channel.

Using just one track, setting output(?) as “Kontakt 5 Midi In” and channel “Any” does route the midi data correctely to the various loaded instruments, Channel 1 data going to my violins, Channel 3 to second violins, etc.