Behaviour of tremolo lines

Hi!
Please have a look on this video:
Bildschirmvideo Tremolo.mov.zip (1.67 MB)
I’ like to have 3 tremolo lines everywhere … but the behaviour is strange …
Does anybody has a hint?
Thx!

Dorico will automatically adjust the number of slashes on tie chains with different note values. It can be overridden using the Single Stem Tremolo property in the (engrave mode) properties panel…

There’s a tension between measured and unmeasured tremolos here, and exactly where the boundary condition between a tremolo being treated as measured or unmeasured is a bit of fuzzy one. Depending on the tempo, that might be at two strokes, or three, or even four. Unmeasured tremolos are often written with the same number of strokes on all notes, regardless of their note value, whereas measured tremolos of course need to take into account the note duration and the effect the beams have on the dividing up of the note. In the future I think we should have an explicit way of indicating that a tremolo is unmeasured, so that Dorico knows it can put the same number of strokes on all notes, regardless of duration.

1 Like

Any such configurable indication for an unmeasured tremolo would have the added benefit that it could be called in Expression Maps for those VST’s that have separate sounds for tremolos.

… or apply custom symbols like penderecki or wieniawski tremolos, which are NOT buzzrolls…

I’ve encountered a situation which may be connected to this discussion. Entering the following notation
Screenshot 2023-09-23 at 8.24.29 PM
I find that the first eighth note has 2 tremolo beams (as I would expect, and as the arranger’s manuscript has it), but the following ones all have 3 (where I would also expect 2 beams, which add to the eighth-note beams to create the three beams of the overall unmeasured tremolo). Is this known or expected behavior? I imagine I can specify 3 tremolo beams for the later notes, but I want to be sure what’s going on first.

I can see how Dorico would correctly interpret the number of slashes appropriate for the tied eighth note, but I am not surprised that when the program evaluates the rest of the eighths, it has no reason to know you mean them to match what went before, so it gives you what you asked for on the independent eighths: three slashes.

Sure, it would be nice if in these cases Dorico could read our minds, but it is not surprising that–at least at this stage of the programming–it does not.

1 Like

Thank you, @Derrek. I guess I don’t regard it as “reading our minds” to provide this notation (making the beams and the tremolo strokes add up together to the desired total number), as to me it’s the default standard if I want to apply “3-stroke tremolo” to a whole passage. Read specifies it (p. 393), and though Gould doesn’t seem to get into the subject, her example on p. 224 shows it in practice. I haven’t yet found a place where the Dorico manual spells this out, though of course @dspreadbury talked about it earlier in this topic.

I’m not complaining, but I’m a bit surprised. I’m also surprised I haven’t run into this before. Obviously I can adjust to it (and have).