Behringer XTouch&Extender

The question is now, use Behringers as Generic Controller or as MC Remote Controll and edit a Device in Controller Editor, perhaps is it more usual than program Phyton…

Hi,

I would expect the Mackie Control should be the best way (if it works).

Now seems to work proper…
Yesterday only turn off turn on the XTouch and it runs correctly.
Today checked in Windows Settings the USB ports. It is because it is possible the different USB devices use the same port. Even important to know if the MIDI devices does not support MIDI notes correct.
That is not the case in my case.
Then deinstalled all MIDI devices and restart while keep all of the USB devices turned on. Windows install automatic the correct drives( in case of Behringer, Behringer says, it take no afford to install any drivers, the Windows drivers are from !2006!)
Have done it because it seems to me like the devices are installed two times, probably they were not, but now the system works good.
Hope some guys will find information if something like to me happens to someone somehow…
Now will try the controller editor to setup my workflow to the possibilities of the XTOUCH & Extender, hope no Phyton take afford, it would be a long way to program via Max or PD…
There is a YouTube clip which shows a way how me think to use a DAW Controller in Cubase; why Behringer or Steinberg do not support patches to integrate the devices fully? It is a work to a Studio Groopy, lol, or a Nerd like me, LOL!
Anyone further in programming Behringer’s XTouch &Extender to a full compatible DAW controller in Cubase 11, soon 12??!
Any tips or traps?!?
Sending love from Baltic Sea Coast,
Vivien

Hey guys;

I’m using xtouch for very basic things :

• fader automation
  • monitor some sources (F keys)
  • jog
    All the rest is useless for now as I feel it’s a mess to configure and not plesant to use.
    But one thing I’m missing really is not to be able to control the control room level with the MAIN fader. Any idea how that could be done ?

Even with Main Mix set to another output in Audio connections I have this MAIN fader controlling an output that I don’t use.

Hi JAM77,
I’ve been using the X-Touch and Extender configuration with Cubase for awhile now, and I don’t have an issue with the way Cubase integrates the controllers. The issue really is Behringer’s lack of documentation!

First up, let’s make sure you’re up to date with the latest X-Touch firmware - you should be running at least v1.15, though Behringer’s latest is v1.22. If you’re unsure how to do this, check out this video - it’s pretty ancient now, but it’s still very useful:

I’ve always used Florian Bomer’s SendSX software for this job and it works perfectly.

Next, check on the X-Touch configuration (power on X-Touch holding down the CH1 Select button). Because I also use the X-Touch to control the X18 mixer as well as Cubase, I have my configuration mode set to Xctl/MC, with the X-Touch connected to my PC via USB and to my router via CAT5e (Ethernet) cables. If you’re just wanting to control Cubase, then I’m pretty sure you can set the configuration mode just to MC, but I still recommend you connect the X-Touch via USB and Ethernet. I have the Ifc (interface) set to Network, but for MC mode, you can use either USB or Network depending on the cables you’ve used to connect the X-Touch. If you find that the Ifc USB setting doesn’t work properly in Cubase, try the Ifc Network setting instead. Don’t forget to press the CH1 Select button to save your settings!

If you do choose the Network setting, you’ll notice that the scribble strips will show the following info:
IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (xxx = local IP address assigned to the X-Touch by your router, e.g. 192.168.000.001)
no link yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy (yyy = local gateway address assigned by router)
In the CH8 scribble strip you’ll see SCAN. If you press the CH8 encoder, the X-Touch will then connect to your LAN and you’re ready to go.

It looks like you have the correct configuration for Mackie Control and Mackie Control 2 in the Remote Devices section of Studio Setup. Go to the MIDI Port Setup window (MIDI-Anschluss-Einstellungen) and look for X-Touch and X-Touch-Ext in the MIDI In list and make sure that their “In ‘All MIDI’” boxes are not ticked, then click on OK. Now you should be ready to go!

I also recommend you check out the following website - I’ve found the overlay has been worth its weight in gold:

I hope this all makes sense and helps you out!

2 Likes

My Dear,
your answer impressed me, thanks a lot! You are right, maybe using the Interfaces by LAN MIDI might be the best way to use. A LAN switch been bought a little time before looking forward to use three Extender and the XTOUCH. Am happy, others use those massive Interfaces in their DAW, too! After a short troubleshooting my two „littles“ work, now for a while. Have done all the specs you told before, and it really works perfect.
Maybe there could be a better software integration in Cubase, in that case I have to program via Max a patch to personally the Interfaces to my workflow.
Sending love from Baltic Sea Coast,
Vivien

You’re most welcome! I agree that an improved and streamlined way to integrate external controllers with user-defined mapping is most definitely needed.
Sending love back, all the way from sunny Australia. :grin:
Scott.

Hi guys, does anybody tried to work “fluently” connecting in USB 1 principal Xtouch + 2 Xtenders units ? It seems that it’s impossible without hard anipulation in cubase. How about ? I wanted to build 32 tracks remote controler with 1 Xtouch and 3 extenders units…but I have serious doubts ! Apologize for my bad english writing. Hope anybody could help me with a similar config, I mean with more than just 1 extender added to a prinicpal Xtouch unit. Happy music. Kind regards

Hi!
Sorry, I haven’t had experience with multiple extenders, but in theory, it should work. Obviously, for every new extender you’ll need to add another Mackie Control remote device in the Studio Setup window (Mackie Control 3, Mackie Control 4, etc.) and set the new extender’s MIDI input and output.
From what I understand, the order of Mackie Control instances in the Remote Devices list, going from the top-most to bottom-most, should be the same as the physical layout of the X-Touch and extenders going from right to left. So, for example, let’s say you’ve got a setup of (L-R):

1. Extender1
  2. Extender2
  3. X-Touch
  4. Extender 3

You’d create 4 Mackie Control instances in the Remote Devices list in the following order from top to bottom:

1. Mackie Control: Extender3
  2. Mackie Control 2: X-Touch
  3. Mackie Control 3: Extender2
  4. Mackie Control 4: Extender1

I hope that makes sense. BUT… I could be wrong since I haven’t tried multiple extenders, though I’m reasonably sure this is how it works. Good luck - I’d be interested in hearing how you go.

1 Like

Hi,

The most bottom device in the Studio Setup is the most left one at your desk.

Hi Martin,
Thanks for clarifying that! Do you know if this will be the same requirement when using the new MIDI Remote paradigm?
Kind regards,
Scott.

Hi,

With the new MIDI Remote API you cannot cascade devices so far.

Hey hi !
Today a friend help me set up MIDI LAN. Bonjour works great, Behringer Zero Latency’s!
Now the problems:
Did not try even connect USB, XTouch and Extender control both the same Audio Tracks :frowning:
My Nektar LX+ is not connected by the initially settings as a MC Device. The Keyboard uses USB. There is a new MIDI Port called MIDI 1&2.
Did not try to find out, because have to get up early tomorrow. If I deactivate the WinRt Midi and use the initially configuration in Cubase 11Pro setup, btw have 12Pro now, Behringers disconnect and do not work via LAN MIDI!
Why is that so complicated? The new MIDI should support multiple devices…
Will try more later, thanks for all the descriptions!
Sending love from Baltic Sea Coast!

Hi all,

I’ve been using the X-Touch with an extender as Mackie Control devices too and I was thrilled when I read about Cubase 12’s new MIDI Remote API feature (mostly because I always wanted to have track-colored scribble strips). So I invested some time and effort and built a script that works with the X-Touch and an extender unit at once. Hearing that most of you own these devices, I couldn’t resist reviving this topic to share the script with you :smiling_face:

@limageurpublic Are you still using multiple extenders? If so, and if you’re interested, I’m happy to add support for that in my script. It’s fairly generic, so this shouldn’t be too much of a problem :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is amazing!Hi!!!

Never ever found time to write my own Skript…
Still work through MC in CB12. Am very interested to your news. How can we get in touch?
Greetings Viv

1 Like

Hi @JAM77,
thanks for your interest! I posted a link above which admittedly isn’t at the most prominent position :sweat_smile: There’s also a forum thread for it:

Thank you so much, will test later… you are greatly!
Yours Viv

1 Like

Hi! Your script is an .js file and my newest CB12 is not able to use it… what is the matter please?

Did you follow the setup instructions?

Did it, seems to be the wrong format it is .js and not the supported format in Cubase. Sry I failed.