Bells used chart

I’ve not found any discussion of handbells used charts on the forum. For those that don’t know, handbell music is written on the grand staff. It is typical to have a system (both sides indented) often at 75% stave size. It is one unmetered measure at the top of the page just below the title and composer info. It shows a list of all bells used in the music. The quarter notes are shown without stems and sometimes enharmonic notes are shown in parentheses.

Using the properties panel and various engraving options I have no problem creating the bells used chart. However, since the actual music, with appropriate time and key signaure starts on the next system, I end up with an unwanted cautionary time and sometimes key signature at the end of the bells used chart. In this perhaps unique situation it would be ideal to be able to hide the signatures rather than use any of the “workarounds” I’ve read about. Whether it is a design philosophy or a technical issue - I’m not sure which - Dorico doesn’t let us hide but a few items. That is unfortunate.

My question is what is the best approach? Should I use separate flows - one for the title/composer and bells used chart and a 2nd flow for the actual music? Or should the first line of music be a Coda start (with the text hidden)? There are disadvantages to both, but in the context of a bells used chart, does anyone have experience with either method or is there another way of doing it?

Along these lines, is there a function that tells what notes are used in a particular piece of music? (That would greatly speed up the creation of the used bell chart).

Here’s a tutorial: Adding reference pitches in Dorico - Scoring Notes

Nice tutorial. Thanks for the link. Obviously flows is the way to do it. I was hoping there was an easier/faster way. After reading your tutorial I wonder if my method is not optimal, but it is easier. I just used two flows, one with the bells used and the other with the music. I didn’t bother with making a music frame to hold the bells used chart or using tuplets to evenly space out the notes. I’ve never worried with extra white space in the bass clef but you have me thinking maybe I should. What’s the advantage of using a separate music frame?

For XML import how does this sound? My original source used two handbell instruments. One for the bells used and the other for the actual music. First I create a handbell template. Then import the XML into the music flow of the template. Then move the used bells part to the first flow, edit as needed.

I think in this case all roads lead to Rome. My method is a bit confusing at first, although it’s the “proper” way and allows for greater flexibility in different scenarios, and I’ve found it easier the more I did it. But YMMV.

I like your way and would do it that way but I’m not sure why the separate frame is necessary. I’m relatively new to Dorico (less than 6 months) so enlighten me as to why it’s the “proper” way. Thanks.

Because it’s a preamble. The music starts at bar 1, and other instruments don’t know or care about a bells-used chart, so it shouldn’t be included in the “primary” flow.

Thanks. Now that makes a lot of sense. I never thought of the bells used chart as separate from the rest of the music any more than I think of the title and composer/arranger as being separate. One of these days I hope notation software is smart enough to create things like a bells used chart when starting a project and automatically populate it with the notes used in the piece.

Dorico already has this feature for Chord Diagrams. I wouldn’t say your request would come soon, but these kind of things are exactly what sets Dorico apart.

1 Like