Best Audio Interface - Not Focusrite

+1, a mate has the UR22 and it’s performing very well. RME RayDAT here, just add whatever preamps you need via ADAT.

Sterling service from MOTU on XP then Win7 for many years - my main studio system. Except recently on Mavericks with my mobile system when I had to trade a MOTU ultralite for a Focusrite scarlett to stop glitches!

Mike.

My UR22 is sitting, collecting dust. Perhaps its strength is in working with audio, but as far as virtual instruments go, I couldn’t get much done with it. It would max out ASIO rather fast. It was extremely limiting in that department. My initial belief that both of these products, UR22 & Cubase, should work magically together since they’re are made by Steinberg, turned out to be very short-lived.

So with that said, I had to shell out few of them ‘benjamins’ and get myself a RME HDSPE Aio, which turned out to be a very worthy investment. So a huge +1 from me for RME. They certainly do put out a high quality product. Switching over from UR22 to HDSPE Aio was like night and day. Huge difference in overall performance and sound quality.

LYNX AURORA 16 :smiley:

Newly converted RME fan here.

Holy smokes, I’ve had my 2408mkIII for how long now!!?
Been looking to upgrade but hey, it works…

The big deal for me was the 3x8 Banks of I/O because of all the outboard gear.

I’ve been looking to get a 24i/o to expand further but MOTU now has the new TB interfaces and just (finally) released windows drivers for it… From my understanding the dac are pretty good and if that’s the case then I’ll just redo my system with the newer interfaces unless of course they get bad reviews and I’ll then go another route…

ftr, I’ve always heard good stuff about RME and UAD

:nerd:

RME + UAD = Heaven! They’re both great, that’s for sure. IMO, the sweet spot for quality converters is within ~$1,300 to $3,500 range (at least for a decent amount of channels). Above that is the point of diminishing return, and below is the consumer/prosumer range (which are still equal, if not better, than anything we had back in the 90’s). This is my opinion, of course, which you may or may not agree with and that’s OK :slight_smile:.

Have a MOTU HD192. Works very well. Love the Cuemix for Audio Monitoring. They have recently been discontinued for all the Thunderbolt Models so when the time comes to upgrade in the Future, I have no idea what I would upgrade to. Whatever I upgrade to, it would need to be of the same quality conversion or Better (I have no idea what is as I have only ever used MOTU - I had an 828 MK 2 when on Win XP) and have a Cuemix for Near Zero Latency Monitoring.

RME user here for a long time, and probably for the rest of my life. I can’t think on anything better, nor I need to.

RME all the way. That said, I’ve had a couple og Focusrite Saphire Pro 40s (for live work) that I’ve NEVER had an issue with. NEVER let your computer sleep, it might not wake up…

I try to stay away from USB for anything more than a keyboard or mouse and maybe a controller. It’s the bandwidth and how the actual USB protocol works that is…good, but funky.

I had a focusrite Saffire pro 40 for a hot minute and should have kept it. REally great drivers and performance, and it even worked great with a VIA 1394 chipset. 6308 I think. Or 6320.

On the RME bandwagon. they recently updates their drivers that now include older pci HDSP cards. Note, not the DIGI cards…the ones you see on evilbay for 130 bucks. So you could get an older HDSP 9632/52 card for not too much and it should work just fine in an x64 environment.

I’m actually on older Maudio Delta 1010’s running fine under Windows 10 build 9926 x64.

That’s a Firewire interface; Firewire seems to have fallen out of favour in recent times but it’s actually much better for audio. In a nutshell, with Firewire the controller takes the load off the CPU, whereas with USB the CPU needs to do much more work. If you have a dual Firewire/USB external disk, it’s easy to demonstrate. RME USB good, Firewire better, PCI/PCIe best.

Actually, I find the performance to be the same on FW or USB with the Fireface UCX. The people at RME develop excellent drivers that rival anything out there, and somehow they managed to get the performance on both of these interfaces to compete even with some PCI cards. I can get the UCX to go down to < 5 ms of round trip latency (that’s input and output added up, for those who may not know) at 44.1KHz in a moderately heavy project with lots of samples. It can do that on both FW and USB equally.

Yes, RME by all accounts have superb USB performances although I haven’t any direct experience with their USB interfaces. I would be cautious about any other USB device though if lowest latency is the objective.

Here to report that RME does USB right. On a modern computer, the Babyface is pretty much as fast and reliable as their more expensive cards and sounds as good.

So many people are praising RME. I’ve never used anything by them. What would someone recommend to be a replacement for the MOTU HD192 to at least rival converter quality and have 12 x Inputs and 12 x Outputs? Or more? And has Near Zero Latency Monitoring Cuemix software? Are any using Thunderbolt? I’m genuinely interested. Thanks.

Get a RayDAT and add any I/O you want via ADAT. You’ll never have to worry about drivers again, and you can chop and change I/O any time you want.

Is there any way of actually just fixing this problem?!!!?!

Yes…set computer to always on in power settings.

Have a look at Dante… www.audinate.com