Best Graphics card for cubase?

Hi,

Cubase has been really fu*king up for me recently. I sent .dmp files to support and they replied with the following

“All of the crashes are related to your Intel(R) HD Graphics 530. Please check if you can solve the problem, by updating the graphic card firmware and driver”

Ive updated the drivers but its still exactly the same.

My question is what would be a reliable GFX card to purchase in order to run cubase smoothly?

Below are specs of my machine

Thanks

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/23/15 13:13:25 Ver: 05.0000B (type: BIOS)
Processor: Intel(R) Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16264MB RAM
Page File: 10560MB used, 8135MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

Display Devices

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal
Device Type: Full Device (POST)

i recomend Msi 1050 Ti (or no ti) because its silent. coolers starts only when gpu heat more then 60 degrees. never hear gpu coolers when working in cubase

You should stay away from NVIDIA, their drivers suck and might compromise your systems real time performance.

1 Like

I’ve been using the integrated Intel graphics (“Intel HD graphics 530”) without any problems whatsoever with C10, C9,5 and C9.

Integrated graphics is one of the main things I like about the intel chip, especially for DAW machines. It’s been working well for me

I haven’t used any graphics card since the i-series Intels appeared. The thing to remember about graphics cards is that it’s an arms race, the priority is to produce the highest frames-per-second for gamers, and that will be at the cost of realtime audio. So I’m happy with Intel graphics, it’s more than enough for Cubase. Why spend more?

I’m using a GeForce GT 1030 which is working absolutely fine for me.

Internal UHD 630 Intel. :slight_smile:

Mine work fine too. :wink:

Nvidia GeForce GTX 960.

Regards :sunglasses:

@venkmon, have you tried completely uninstalling your current Intel HD Graphics 530 driver, and reinstalling the latest version?

The easiest way is to use the Intel Driver & Support Assistant (DSA).

Note that Intel recently changed to this newer DCH driver and it is important that the old driver is properly replaced by the new one. Your Windows 10 version supports the DCH version of the drivers – so alternatively you can download the exe here.

I’ve been using an ASUS GeForce GT 730 2GB fanless/silent card for some time without any issues.
The only thing is, it (and possibly other cards do also) blocks one of my PCIe slots on the mobo…maybe something to look out for.

Cheers.

Power consumption in GPUs increases when more pixels are changing.

Audio is not graphically intensive, mainly because most pixels don’t change much at all, so the GPU has a lot less work to do. This is why GPUs integrated into PCUs generally work OK for audio.

It is when also using the rig to render video or for video games that beefier graphics cards may be required.

One thing to keep in mind if you use an integrated GPU is that it will steal a part of your RAM.

If you already have 32gb or more then losing 2gb or something won’t really matter, but I wouldn’t recommend it you only have 8 or 16. Especially not if you plan on running 4k resolution or multiple screens.

And for the record, I’ve been using nVidia GPUs with Cubase for a long time (since VST 5.1) without any issues.

1 Like

I might agree with the guy saying “stay away from Nvidia Graphics cards”… I have one and I Think (but not 100% sure) that it has caused some problems within Cubase… It’s new though but it’s a gaming card really… But it’s 100% silent, and that is a must I Believe, when recording through microphone, mixing, etc…

/Robin

As long a video card’s fan shuts down if it is lightly used, it should be OK for audio.

Hi, Nancy! Good to meet with you again …

So … what’s for dinner? Spam, Spam, Spam, and Spam?

Somewhat related, I just love it when numerous helpful replies are posted to a topic. However, the OP is nowhere to be found … :confused: . I wonder which version of Cubase he/she is even using. The plot thickens …

Internal UHD 630 Intel rock solid …
No driver issues, no latency issues…

So I was using my GT1030 but thought I would try the internal UHD 630. I only use my pc for Cubase and wavelab. Well using the device port the picture is much crisper and vibrant. Did a latency checker run and that was fine (it was with the 1030 also ) tried a huge test project which ran fine at my 64 sample buffers. Then added about 20 reverence plugins and still playing good although the peak was high. Checked cores and it was all reasonably even. I have asio guard enabled at the lowest level. So I’m sticking with the inbuilt graphics for now and put the 1030 back in my old computer

1 Like

My main DAW PC (HP Z220 Workstation) has an Nvidia Quadro K600. It’s never caused me any issues with Cubase LE 6 or Elements 10.5 - 11. Protools, Reaper and Reason all have no problems either.

I thought NVIDIA was the culprit, but I it seems my problems stem from the Intel integrated GPU.
Turns out my Intel card was blocking the NVIDIA from functioning. Runs better since a BIOS update allowed bypass of the Intel for external monitors.
Just opening the Audio Perf window causes dxgkrnl.sys to spike a lot tho…
So many problems seem to circle round the various DirectX versions, something I’d like to get more info on if it exists.

DELL XPS 9700 (don’t laugh) - i7 10875H - Intel UHD + NIVIDIA 2060 - 32GB -1024GB
C11.0.20

1 Like