Best practice for switching between solo and ensemble patches

I’m wondering what the best way to accomplish the following is.

Let’s say I have 3 different trumpets in my score, and I have 2 solo trumpet patches, and one trumpet ensemble patch.

I am okay with having trumpet 1 use the tpt 1 patch, and trumpets 2 and 3 use the tpt 2 patch, when they are playing different stuff.

But when all three are playing together, I’d like to assign one of them to the trumpet ensemble patch, and assign the other two to no patch.

In Finale I used to do this with different layers - i.e. I would just put the tpt. ensemble patch on layer 3, and no patch on layer 4, so when the time came, I could just switch notating to the appropriate layers to get what I wanted.

Is there an equivalent way to do that using “voices” in Dorico, and if so, is that the best way to do it?

(this is all using 3rd party libraries and players (all VSL)).

To add a little more detail - I did find the playing technique “mute off” but that is not solving my problem. And when, in the piano roll, I look at the playing technique of, say trumpet 1, I see it continues to alternate (seemingly at random) between “natural” and “straight mute” despite the fact that I simply have mutes on for the first couple of measures, and then mutes off. I’ve tried to manually automate using the controller (I use CC6 to control the Y axis), but I can’t seem to override Dorico’s intention to keep my trumpet muted. (i.e. it defers to its own, incorrect understanding of what the playing technique should be, over my manual programming of the CC AND my insertion of a “mute off” playing technique in the score.

I don’t think what you’re describing will work, at least not musically. If you ahve all 3 trumpets playing the same note, you want to be triggering 3 ensemble patches…I think. Otherwise you won’t get the doubling/tripling.

Well, the ensemble patch is 3 trumpets playing in unison, so why would I want multiples of that?

I agree, the whole point of an ensemble patch is so you don’t have to set up three unison lines just to get an ensemble sound.

Shnootre, I’m confused about how your second post relates to the first one. Maybe you got confused because “mute” means two different things in English: (1) to make something completely silent and (2) the English term for “con sord.”

In your first post, you are talking about (1), but in the second post the “mute off” playing technique is about (2), i.e. it is the same as “senza sord.”

For (1), you want to apply the “supress playback” property in the bottom panel to the notes that should not play back.

Hi Rob, sorry for any confusion. I am only ever talking about senza sord. here, not interested in ever suppressing playback. My problem appears to be that Dorico is not registering anything I do to achieve “senza sord.” in the playback lane. Whether I use a playback technique, or just have an extended line from the “straight mute” designation (so indicated a limited scope for the technique), once the technique is on, nothing I seem to do gets the playback off of the mute sound.

I AM using mutual exclusion groups, and I have the muted and open switches in that group.

Next up, I’ll try just deleting the muted sound from the expression map and manually triggering that change (with a CC change). Will report back, but the most concerning thing for me here is the behavior of Dorico vis a vis the playing technique.

Here, if I enter con sord (and having the corresponding technique MUTED in the Xmap) whenever I enter senza sord. in the score (without any corresponding intry in the Xmap) it automatically switches to Neutral. This may be a problem if you’re keyswitching between matrices in VSL though. (Out of time to check further right now…)

UGH - I’m sorry. I confused my threads - my reply was meant for my other thread about mutes. Now I see the confusion! apologies.

No worries - we all make mistakes. I didn’t see your other thread, otherwise it would have been fairly obvious this was just a post on the wrong thread.

Still looking for THE answer for this one though… :slight_smile: