Best way of panning Stereo Audio files?

Howdy,

I’m currently working on putting a lot of Foley Effects to a short Film and all the Audio Files that I have been given have been recorded with a handheld Zoom recorder and the Files are in Stereo. A lot of the files sound naturally heavy to the Right side of the Stereo Field and I was just wondering what the best way of "Centralising them is? I have simply pulled the Pan over to the left but I have to take it nearly all the way hard left to make a noticeable difference.

I’m just wondering what other people do with this kind of thing. For example, there is a scene of someone running and he is running dead centre towards the camera but the breathing and foot steps are to the right of the stereo field. Is it best to down mix to Mono files or Stereo Split the files? I only ask because I want to keep the best quality I can.

Thanks

Jono

You could look at the waves S1 imager, there is freeware version of a similar product though can’t recall the name just now, if it’s a 5-1 sound field there are products like the waves S360 and other similar products from other software houses that may be of a help.

Thanks. I’ll have a look into them!

Try using the Combined Stereo Panner. It can adjust where the left and right sides of your stereo field are located (even reversing them if you want).

You could look at the waves S1 imager, there is freeware version of a similar product though can’t recall the name just now

Maybe this? Great free plug. Highly recommend it.

http://a1audio.de/index.php/a1stereocontrol

Wow. The A1StereoControl demo really seems to work. Might have to give that a go! Thank you.