Better Sounds for Dorico on iPAD?

Are there any plans to improve the playback sounds in Dorico on the iPAD? The notation features are excellent but the current playback sounds are so bad that it is depressing to work with! M1 ipads are now fully capable of playing back good quality sample libraries - staffpad has managed this but the handwritten input is maddening to work with.

2 Likes

I’m wondering when somebody realizes the opportunity. Problem is I think that everybody is conditioned to think of the iPad as a limited mobile platform. On the M1 however Dorico is as capable as the desktop, within its feature set (I haven’t tried large scores though). But maybe due to how we all view the iPad as mobile we get mobile features. For example I’ve been pushing for tweaks that are desktop oriented (hardware esc hookups, arrow key repeating, stuff around using a hardware keyboard basically).

Seems like the best option would be for Steinberg to have an in-app for full resolution HALION, I’d pay $99 for that easy.

1 Like

This is something I’ve been wishing for. Back in the distance past (15-25 years), I have heard some decent samples that couldn’t have been too heavy on processing considering the equipment available. Some samples could pass as they are. I can usually stand the flute sounds. Strings always need more help. Horns can at least pass as horns. I have problems with the sound of Oboes and Trumpets. Harp is always recognizable. Pianos can pass.

By pass, I just mean, I feel like I can get by with the sound if nothing was done. I would like more flexible dynamics, even if not perfectly enacted.

1 Like

Having the option to load Halion into Ipads of sufficient power would also be nice. Others could keep the original sounds if unable to handle it.

1 Like

iSymphonic Orchestra seems to be the only thing you can buy at present.

It has lots of ‘mixtures’, e.g. Strings and Brass together; and separate instruments for Spiccato and Legato. Not many articulations either.

One would hope that there will be some new releases, now that Logic has come to the iPad. (In fact I wonder whether you can use the Logic sounds… (but I’m not paying the sub to find out!)

2 Likes

NotePerformer would make sense. I would never pay $99 for HSO on any platform.

Please count my vote for better instrument sounds too! I’m currently composing for Wind Quintet. As a former professional clarinetist—bad hands took me out of the game—I know these sounds intimately; both individually and collectively. It’s nice to try out unusual voicing, etc. but difficult to know what I’m going to get when the original sounds are so far off, let alone dynamics that are difficult to balance.
Can anyone recommend options for purchasing individual sounds in a format that will not break the bank $?
I would eventually like to write for string quartet and will really need a wide range of quality sounds and a lot of articulation repertoire.
Thanks in advance,
Terry

2 Likes

Have you already tried the SWAM instruments from Audio Modelling?

1 Like

Bob,
I have not tried anything yet. I’m just shopping around for ideas and recommendations at this point.
Anything

Terry L. Zipay