beware of the rob papen non virus virus

Hi, This is not strictly about Cubase 6 but it concerns everybody who uses a VST instrument…I bought rob papens RG guitar synth ( which is a good piece of kit ) however, it has inside it what they call a “false warning” which is something called Klamide or Klemidie or something or other, anyway what this thing does is actually stop you from using the software…it tells you it’s been tampered with or is corrupt ( this a legally bought piece of software by the way ) so you can’t use it, I had to delete and re install it 7 times in 2 weeks…basically got to give it up and find a guitar synth as good as this one…
when I contacted the “support” team they said there’s nothing we can do about ! ( except spend my money ) and were not in the slightest bit helpfull, they know they are selling software with this problem in it and couldn’t care less what probs it causes any sap that buy’s it…
So be warned …if your gonna buy Rob Papen software, Preditor…Blue…Albino…RG…I’m sure there are others…ask em about the virus that they say is not a virus but a false warning ( just has the same effect as a virus )…stops you using what you paid for…best to all, Kevin

Yikes! I’m sorry you experienced that. I thought Papen used the eLicenser like Cubase for auth.

I bought RP-Delay recently but it was serial number activated and have had no issues, luckily. Best of luck getting your issue resolved. Try the Rob Papen forum on KVR. Rob himself posts there.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=55

Papen used to use elicenser but with the latest updates of all products it has dissappeared.I never experienced any trouble like this with long usage of original predator and subboom bass. Maybe im on mac, no viruses here?

Glad to hear your not having probs…maybe I’m unlucky but got to say I was very dissapointed with the response from the company…totally not interested in my plight ! I asked them if maybe they would do an update to sort it but they did not bother to respond,
regarding Mac, I intend to move over to a Mac asap but because I’ve been on pc for yonks It’s gonna be a big wrench…but gotta do it…is your experiance with Cubase and mac good ?

regards to all, Kevin

Good to know, I had been looking at RP RG just yesterday. It’s probably some weird anomaly caused by a combination of things, I can’t imagine this happens to many people or they would’ve fixed it by now.

Hi,

As I understand it, if anti-virus software reports a false positive, it’s the the fault of the anti-virus software and not the software being accused. Therefore, the makers of the anti-virus software should fix it as the accused software isn’t doing anything wrong.

Personally, I wouldn’t run a virus checker on my DAW in the first place.

Mark

Correct. Do you use AVG by any chance? Mine throws these things up sometimes. Usually an installer is seen as a virus and might also not be either the Papen software or the AV software but the package that Papen uses to install it’s software. So it can all get quite complex to sort out.
The support team should have had a clue at least though. Contact again or even write and ask for a supervisor or for the name of the department head to write to.

:open_mouth: … hire a guitarist? :smiley:

FWIW i had the opposite experience with the line plug/ papen support team. I was demoing albino and ran into a compatability bug with a version of albino and cubase 4 - i received great support from them and i wasn’t a customer yet.

Sorry about your experience. i would give it another shot

Ive been on pc too for long time since 2000-2010, last one i built my self i7 power machine and thought maybe i dont have to do that much IT-guy work and can focus on making music but it didnt happen so tried mac out and never looked back.It went pretty smoothly, i have never enjoyed cubase more than now.Im sure its because of both cubase 6 and mac.Ive been very sceptical about mac hype all the time but as the time has shown my projects under 130 tracks performance is still very good.take care

It’s got nothing to do with my anti virus set up…as I said this has happened even with all anti virus stuff turned of…this false warning themedia thing is inside th RG software, apparentely software developers use it to make their software harder to crack…but it’s now making it impossible to use…regards to everybody, Kevin

Also regarding the cusomer support I’ve Emailed them twice and they dont answer…a sure sign of guilt…regards to everyone, Kevin

Well, you look like you’ve made your mind up but it’s been a “heads up, beware!” so if I have to use this software I’ll check it out first so thanks.

It’s got nothing to do with my anti virus set up…as I said this has happened even with all anti virus stuff turned of…this false warning themedia thing is inside th RG software, apparentely software developers use it to make their software harder to crack…but it’s now making it impossible to use…regards to everybody, Kevin

Themidia is the copy protection system in the software that your anti-virus is warning about. If you really did disable your anti-virus there should be no warning.
I would double check that you disabled Anti-Virus correctly.

I know what a warning from eset looks like it comes up within eset and it asks me what I want to do about it, delete…quarantine…etc, this themidia warning isn’t actually a warning It just tells me I cant open the software, eset never tells me I can’t open software it just tells me it may have something in it that aint nice and gives me an option…rop papen software cant be the only stuff with some sort of protection in it, I have no trouble with any other software and why dont they answer my Emails to help me? I think It’s because they know they can’t help because the software is at fault , what other conclusion can I come to when I have always had help from any other software company regarding any probs…I’m not looking to cause any problems for rob papen I’m just dissapointed that I can’t use the software I paid for and even more dissapointed in the attitude shown by them, regards, Kevin