Bizarre Text Frame Issue

Can someone assist? For some reason, towards the middle of my multi-flow project, the flowTitle frames are suddenly on the last page of each flow (as opposed to the proper first page). Furthermore, there was an isolated issue when fixing one of them: I used the token {@flowTitle@} and the title was blank. I’m not sure what caused this. I have been adding Text Frames to the score because it is a ballet with directions indicating what is happening in the movement according to the score. I did a lot of work yesterday, saved and opened up the next day to this problem. Any idea why this happened?

It sounds very complicated and without seeing your project it’s actually quite hard to diagnose.
Maybe you could upload it here?
My only guess (based on you saying that you have been adding Text frames) is that you might have a lot of page overrides.

To check do the following:

1. Go to Engrave mode
  2. Observe if on the right sight at the page miniatures there are some pages with a red triangle.
  3. If so, you might want to right click one of them and either chose “Remove Page Overrides” or “Remove all Page overrides”. Be careful, it will probably undo all of the work you did!
    (4. Depending on the context of your text frames, you might want to familiarize yourself with the concept of Master Pages and how to design and apply them. You generally want to avoid them until really really necessary.)

The file is too big (its about 40 min long). Any suggestions on getting it to you?

I haven’t seen it, but I can almost guarantee that the problem is the page overrides. If you are adding text frames to the layout directly, you are creating overrides (which is obviously necessary in your case), and overrides can make flow headers go haywire.

Without sounding too grumpy, I would say that the interaction of page overrides and flow headers is a real problem at present, and can result in lots of lost work.

You can send part of a project that illustrates the problem and also (in your case) set the Playback Template to Silence to make the file smaller.

So it’s probably a good idea to physically take down notes of where all my movement text frames should go, remove all page overrides and redo. Is there a setting it needs to be at before insert text frames?

That works, thanks.
STRANGERS Engraved 1.14.2021 silence.dorico (1.6 MB)

That is precisely what I would do if I were you. When you have flow headers, page overrides just become problematic. Set everything the way you want it, then add your text frames as late in the game as possible.

here ya go

STRANGERS Engraved 1.14.2021 silence.dorico (1.6 MB)

Flow titles usually show up automatically at the start of flows (if that Layout Option has been selected) without having to add additional text frames.

I sometimes use SHIFT-X Text to describe actions associated with sections of music (so long as the descriptions are not too long).

Yeah, I would totally agree with Derrek. If you can make text items work instead of text frames, that’s a much better way to go in this case.