Black Friday Sale: Scoring Express Dorico templates from Notation Central

I’ve just tried it, and it’s definitely a no. Doing that will create a new part layout that follows different Layout Options. I think it’s supposed to pick up the saved default Layout Options (the user library) but, at least according to the Library Manager, it’s picking up an odd assortment of Layout Options that match none of the existing part layouts in the project, nor the factory settings, nor the user library!

@Derrek Do you have a good reason for not Propagating Part Formatting? I’m pretty sure the documentation tells you to tick the first tickbox but not the second, which should propagate just the Layout Options without affecting casting off.

@dspreadbury if you have a moment to try exactly this, I’d be grateful: open the Theatre MT Rock band + strings landscape example project, duplicate the Bass player, compare (via Library Manager) the Layout Options for the new Bass 1 layout against BASS layout, Factory and User. Many thanks!

1 Like

No, @pianoleo , I was not trying to avoid propagating the format, I was looking for a (lazy) shortcut to avoid propagating separately. :smiling_imp:

If you haven’t done any system formatting, you could also:

1. Add new player.
  2. Duplicate layout of old player.
  3. (With duplicate layout selected) uncheck original player and tick new player.
  4. Delete redundant part layout automatically created when adding the new player.
  5. Drag new layout to the right place in the list.

I’m not sure that this is any quicker, but it’s definitely a method I use in different circumstances (e.g. for using a formatted Hn. 1 layout as a blueprint for Hns 2-4.)

1 Like

This was money well spent. Thanks for offering this.

4 Likes

Yes! ISO-sizes please! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congratulations, Leo (and others)!

Does the use of the new Scoring Express Dorico templates require Dorico 4 ? For better and worse, I’m on a wonderful Windows 7 machine, and am therefore stuck with Dorico 3.5

Officially, yes. Dorico 4.1 is the first version we officially support.

Unofficially, the files should open fine in 3.5, but with the following caveats (at the very least, and off the top of my head):

• Lyric Engraving Options may be squiffy
  • Ditto for slurs

Other than that, the big thing is you’re a little on your own without the Library Manager, but if you’re used to the ≤3.5 workaround of starting projects from an informally-designated “template” then the process with these templates is unchanged.

If modifying the players (and thus the necessary part layouts) you’ll probably need the old trick of saving an existing part’s Layout Options as default, then setting the new layout’s options to the saved defaults.

Thanks for the quick reply, Leo – I appreciate it.

By this, do you mean simply saving particular setups to be used as self-made “templates” (tho’ having the usual .dorico file extensions) – and if so, saving each of the Scoring Express Templates that way?

Yes. The installer saves these templates to Documents/Dorico Projects/Scoring Express [flavour] for convenience - they’re just Dorico projects.

They’re also saved to the Dorico 4 Project Templates folder, but that shouldn’t cause you any problems. You just don’t have access to the convenient hub method of filling out the Project Info, time sig/key sig/number of empty bars.

Thanks, Leo!

Happy to see that you are the person behind these templates. As for the fonts on the iPad I’ve read that there are some apps that allow you to install extra fonts. Will this be a viable option?
The three packages will install the same fonts?

My understanding is that Dorico can’t currently access third-party fonts on iPad; I seem to recall this being a Qt limitation. Sorry!

1 Like

New on the Scoring Notes podcast: A fun and interesting discussion about Scoring Express. https://www.scoringnotes.com/podcast/the-scoring-expressway/

5 Likes

I heard beautiful things about these templates, and I trust the people involved from the help and tons of advice they provided. At the moment my main interest is chamber music, which probably is the least flashy template of the three, at least from what I can understand. I mean that to me the changes are least obvious. I wish there were one or two “before and after” examples, but this had been done only for a jazz piece, and it is brilliant.
I admit, the main differences that I can see are the headers and footers. At first I thought that these templates used different music fonts, but it seems this is only for Sibelius, and anyway Dorico’s fonts are gorgeous.
I am sorry I am too illiterate in the art of engraving.

It’s not going to happen today, but I can certainly run a chamber example through the templates and give a before and after. I’ll post back here with the results in the next few days.

2 Likes

I am going to buy it anyway, even if you don’t make it before the end of the promotion sale.

1 Like

Here is one quick example of a MusicXML file opened with Dorico defaults and Scoring Express defaults.

You are entirely correct that of all the templates, the Dorico Chamber version is the most subtle of all the differences. No doubt that Finale and Sibelius users for the Chamber templates in those programs will see more drastic differences compared to their default settings, as well as Dorico Jazz and Dorico Theatre & Studio. But there are still many useful adjustments that Leo has made.
Dorico default open.pdf (88.9 KB)
Scoring Express open.pdf (99.3 KB)

3 Likes

Oh - here is a fun, if not entirely useful, demonstration of the differences in the Engraving Options between Scoring Express - Dorico - Chamber and Dorico factory defaults.

dorico-settings

3 Likes

Really beautiful!

1 Like

Really beautiful!