Black Friday Sale: Scoring Express Dorico templates from Notation Central

Hi Philip,
Big fan of Scoring Express…Thank you for the examples. Am I right in thinking that the basic staff size differs between these two examples? Presumably if the staff size is smaller then everything will automatically squash up and have a smaller appearance…I appreciate that there are note spacing adjustments etc, but are we comparing two versions with the same staff size?

It would be more than just staff seize though; no doubt that the other spacing values have been tweaked too.

I believe the “drop well” in the Library manager is not working at least for Dorico v. 4.1
When I saw no difference between my options and the ones from Scoring Express I thought I made a good job all by myself!
Just to let other users know that there is a minor bug, anyway the libraries can be loaded using the page icon.

Yes, this has been confirmed here: Library manager behavior change in 4.1 - #2 by dspreadbury

2 Likes

Hi!
I noticed an annoying behavior, when trying to sync all the options of older files with MT piano vocal score. Dorico would unexpectedly quit. But if I sync only the most interesting bits for me (page templates, paragraph styles, font styles…) then it’s ok. Has anyone stumbled into that too? Could it be related to the fact that instruments don’t match, or that the original file was created in 3.5.12, or else?

You should provide the diagnostic report, so we can take a look and see how/where Dorico is crashing.

2 Likes

Of course. Here you are. The unexpected quits happened today around 12. You can see in the logs 4 and 6 that the last line has to do with the Library manager…
Dorico diagnotics

Did you add any system breaks? The first systems have significantly more measures per system (5 even in t he very first system), while the last ones have 3-4, while not being significantly denser musically.

Sorry to have missed this earlier. Our example has a 6.4 mm staff size. Dorico factory setting has 7.0 mm staff size.

No, I didn’t do anything to the file; there are no system breaks added. I suspect that Dorico saw into the future if it did something like the attached, and saved us from collisions on the last system, which is how it arrived at the result.

1 Like

Unfortunately, Marc, there are no crash logs contained in that diagnostic report: if you have a set of reproducible steps that would allow us to see the crash for ourselves, please provide me with the files (you can do so via private message if you prefer).

1 Like

Files sent :wink:

Edit : Daniel found out the problem I was experiencing (very quickly): when synchronizing Layout options (especially Bar numbers), Dorico is expecting to find a specific paragraph style that doesn’t exist in my former files, and this makes Dorico quit. Easy fix: sync the paragraph styles, apply, then you can sync all the options, apply. Done

1 Like

I did noticed that too, thank for the solution!

I recently got these templates and I can’t say enough good things about them. The readability of the parts alone (and especially parts with chord symbols) is enough to make these a great deal. And the parts look terrific in forScore.

And the Library Manager makes it easy to retrofit music to use the template settings.

A big thank you to all involved at NYC Music Services and at Steinberg!

**Leigh

3 Likes

I really like the Jazz templates a lot and they make life so much easier.

When I use Dorico files on my iPad which were created with the Express Score templates on my Mac Studio however I get unusable results.

I know the effect that my lead sheets appear with different fonts on my iPad, but this kind of graphics seems quite unusable.
Anything I can do about it?

It’s because you don’t have the fonts installed on your iPad (and cannot do so). Only use the engraving options (but not fonts) next time. It will be a slightly mixed bag, but that’s the best you can achieve, I’m afraid.

what i do not understand however: when I use other third . party fonts in my scores I will get scores on my Ipad with different fonts, but it is still readable. With these fonts I get unusable results on my Ipad. As a consequence either Scoring Express or the Ipad version of Dorico are not usable…

are you using chord symbols in those other examples?

yes, I’m using the exact same charts. Just changing the style in the library leads to the strange effects on Ipad.

You could go through the Library > Font Styles dialog and name specific fallback fonts for particular font styles that you know are present in the system fonts on your iPad. No such mechanism exists for paragraph styles, however, so you’re still at the mercy of whatever automatic substitution is carried out in those cases.

1 Like