Blank rehearsal marks

Does anyone else have this problem? In a few of my parts, there rehearsal marks are just blank. Out of a full orchestra, it’s only a problem in Oboe 1, Flute 1, Clarinet 1, and Violin 1 parts. If I change the rehearsal marks to letter or numbers instead of bar numbers, it works. But I really want to keep it as bar numbers. Any advice? Thanks in advance!

Chances are you’ve got independent time signatures/barlines and you’ve basically confused Dorico. If you can post a cut-down version of the project, someone will be able to help you out. A screenshot probably isn’t sufficient.

Thanks for the reply! You’re right, I do have some independent time signatures. But it should be the same number of bars total, so I’m not sure how to correct the rehearsal marks?

What do you mean by “cut-down version”? Just the .dorico file? I can’t seem to attach one, but here’s a google drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tO_THCF7U8IxOf-F_qnpSxCo6bgudMM3

I had the same issue with blank rehearsal marks and independent time signatures in a piece last year, which I was unable to resolve. I ended up making all the time signatures the same. Here is the thread:

Could you fill in the empty Rehearsal Marks with the Text Tool?

A bit tedious, methinks. Easier to use boxed system text in that case.

Both options are just as tedious. Derrek, it’s possibly not occurred to you that the Shift+X text will need to be hidden in the score. Dan, it’s possibly not occurred to you that the empty boxes are already showing in the parts.

It occurred to me. I assumed it was obvious he’d just delete them in my scenario.

Oh I see. Boxed System Text in ALL the parts and the score. Wait a sec - do we have bordered System text?

I made a post about this earlier, which also has a response of acknowledgement from Daniel.

Well, we don’t have anything like Sibelius’ Boxed System Text, but you could always just create a regular system text object and turn on borders in the properties panel.

Ah, this is a great work-around! Thank you so much! Wish I’d thought of that! Hopefully this is something that gets worked out in the next update, but this will do for now. I appreciate all the input!

JB121.dorico (3.4 MB)
Can anyone tell me why the bar numbers dropped out of the rehearsal marks from the oboe part on? (The score, piccolo, and flute parts are showing the numbers.)

The file is attached. I’m new to Dorico and am trying to figure out things I encounter, but I’m stumped by this one.

Notice how some of your time sigs are orange (when selected) and some blue (condensed parts?). You seem to have competing time sigs which throw off your Rehearsal Marks.

What I did was turn off condensing in the full score.
Delete the 6/8 time signature and then re-enter it.
Then turn condensing back on.
The Rehearsal Numbers then reappeared in the flute parts. I didn’t check the others.

You could try this on a copy of your file.

Thank you so much Derrek!

The Flutes were correct before. I followed these steps and the oboe thru percussion parts still show blank rehearsal numbers.

Greg, the issue is with the local time signatures you’ve used from bar 256 in various instruments to produce 3/4 beat grouping within your 6/8 time signature. Unfortunately the presence of local time signatures causes Dorico to get confused about where it should get its bar numbers from for the rehearsal marks (it’s obviously not ideal, because as you can see it’s still able to draw the bar numbers OK!). This is something that we need to resolve.

For the time being, I’d advise against using local time signatures in this way if you need to use bar numbers in rehearsal marks. It’s not as convenient, but using Force Duration instead of local time signatures for the affected bars should resolve the problem.

Following Daniel’s excellent analysis and solution…
… if you select all notes that you’ve entered using the 3/4 and force duration (o) on them before removing the local 3/4 time signatures, then your preferred notation will be preserved and you won’t need to do any additional work.

(OT. This gives me an idea for a workflow for solving some of the unusual beam grouping problems that float around the forum:
Apply a local time signature with the appropriate beam groups. Enter the notes. Then force the durations. Finally remove the local time sig.)

1 Like

I have long wished for a way to freeze beaming, and I do not think force duration does it!

Unfortunately Mark is right - I just tried Janus’s suggestion, in 6/8. I entered 8th notes with force duration turned on, and a local time signature of 3/4. As soon as I delete the local 3/4 meter, the beaming reverts to 6/8.

OK. I didn’t test it on a string of quavers, but it does work on the OP file, where the 3/4 consists of minims and crotchets against 6/8 quavers.

1 Like