Blurry toolbar icons/graphics while using 125% windows scale, with HiDPi turned on

Hi,

Just by launching Cubase, the splash GUI looks “un-sharp” and the text a bit blurry.
In Cubase itself, the toolbar icons (undo/redo, edit icons, etc…) look just like it is “unfocused” / blurry, other text on screen within Cubase GUI - looks “fine”.

For example, “state button” in toolbar looks like this at 120% scale : 120_DPI

Tried with different configurations: HiDPI flag turned on/off, Windows DPI compatibility settings , started the app in safe mode - all ended with same results, blurry splash + icons.

The only way I got Cubase to be displayed sharp in 125% scale factor , is the following “workaround”:

1. Set windows scale to 150% or 200%.
  2. Launch Cubase (now the Splash screen looks sharp!)
  3. Open a project (the icons look sharp and crisp, but just too big…)
  4. Set back windows scale to 125% or even 100%
  5. Check out Cubase GUI… prefect!

Now everything looks sharp, for example, now the “state button” in toolbar : 150_DPI

I hope it helps others that might have this issue.

Is it a “known” issue ? HiDPI feature defect ? configuration issue ?
Any suggestions ?

My setup:
Windows 10, Cubase 11.0.10
32" HP monitor, 2560x1440, 125% scale factor
nVidia GT1030 (with “Image Sharpening” option turned off).
HiDPI flag - on (default)

Thanks!
Sam

1 Like

You have the same result with HDPI on or off? Reset your preferences.

Look for Cubase Safe Mode

Thanks Steve for your fast reply.

I just tried it with Safe mode and reset the preferences. Same results :frowning_face:

I dunno, sorry. I haven’t seen this exact issue on the forum. In any case you have a workaround that’s fairly trivial.

Update:

After trying to pinpoint the root cause of the problem (graphics card, drivers, monitor, OS, etc…)
I installed Cubase 10.5 and was happy to discover that the GUI looks sharp and crystal clear using the HiDPI flag in 125% scale or even 150%.

@steve - So it’s a Cubase 11 scaling issue after all, I hope it will be fixed in future updates.

Thanks again.