Bought a new UR22-c dropouts

Hey! I bought the UR22C usb interface and I have been trouble with audio dropouts, especially on youtube.
When i use my DAW (reaper) it is not as present,
when listening to music via Spotify it is not as present.
when I Look at youtube clips the dropouts is more frequent.

I did not have this problem with my previous audiointerface (not steinberg). I have done the following from what i could find from troubleshooting:

1: Disable CPU Intel Boost in Bios
2: Swapped to "High Speed Usb 2.0, from usb 3.0
3. Tried diffrent USB ports, both 2.0 and 3.0
4. Updated my motherbard bios, drivers, and firmware from the manufacturer (MSI)
5. Updated windows 10 x64 to newest update
6. Updated the Steinberg UR22C to newest driver (2.0.3), and firmware
7. Turning off Selective USB power in Control Panel
8. Jumped between diffrent buffersize and Hz on the ASIO driver in the interface.
9: Disconnecting all other USB devices

I get the USB error message on the Yamaha USB driver app about USB intereference.

I have read a few forum threads about this, is this common? We tried the interface on my parters Macbook and it worked flawless. No dropouts from either youtube,spotify or DAW. Would love some help of if anyone here knows why this is happening?

PC:
MSI b250m bazooka motherboard
16gb ram
SSD samsung 1tb
i5 7500

The problem: The UR22C seems to flicker it’s USB connection on a frequent/infrequent basis which seems to be somewhat related to the sampling frequency under use. I have not found a sample rate that eliminates the USB dropouts, only one that minimizes it to every 10 minutes or so. I use Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol x64 for live performance. and playing on a midi keyboard connected to the UR22C during one of these USB flickers sometimes causes the NI Komplete Kontrol software to miss a Note Off midi message which causes a note to remain sustained unintentionally forcing me to reset the midi instrument in the NI software during the middle of a song.

I’ve also heard these USB dropouts during zoom meetings and Spotify streaming. Note: I often get visual confirmation of this from the UR22C USB LED located above XLR Input 2

I’m using the UR22C with my HP Spectrum360 (see system info below). Using the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver set to “Stable” Mode under ASIO tab, and I find the most stability on the 176.4 kHz Sample Rate using High-Speed (USB 2.0).

Also note, I notice these issues with the provided USB C to USB A cable (even after switching to USB Mode=“High-Speed (USB 2.0)” configuration). I also purchased a USB C to USB C cable which appears to suffer the same problem (Note: the USB C to USB C cable still is being used with USB Mode=“High-Speed (USB 2.0)” configuration).

Also note, my laptop’s bios doesn’t allow much configuration to force CPU to maintain one clock speed (it underclocks depending on CPU load…). Also, advanced power settings don’t offer any thing for HD/USB/CPU optimization… (probably due to Home edition??)

System Info: (Note: this is a very NEW processor)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

System Model HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1xxx

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU 7UT64UA#ABA

Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date AMI F.22, 6/1/2020

SMBIOS Version 3.2

BIOS Mode UEFI

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “10.0.19041.488”

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Kernel DMA Protection On

Virtualization-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Which buffer settings do you use?

buffer… not sample rate

176.4kHz sample rate automatically selects the 2048 Buffer size. That’s what i’ve been using to get most stability.

on that note… the 44.1kHz auto selects the 512 buffer… and i get the worst performance with this…

hmmmm try to use lower sample rate with that buffer size

1 Like

Just finished testing with High Speed (USB 2.0) 44.1kHZ with 2048 buffer size. (Side Note: this results in ~40-50ms latency, which is above the <30ms ideal with midi instruments…).
Result: a couple audio dropouts per 10mins audio playback.

Just for kicks, i also tried 176.4kHz with 8192 buffer size. (~55ms latency)
Result: a single drop out within 10min of audio playback

Lastly for curiosity, i tried 192kHz at 8192 buffer size (~50ms latency)
Result: no drop outs yet after 20min of audio playback…

I know, my testing here is not long enough, but early results show that higher sampling rate and larger buffer size do help reduce the frequency of audio dropouts (and in some cases the length or severity)…

all in all it’s strange…it reads like an old bug in Intel chipsets regarding USB3
but this should already gone with new BIOS version or up to date chipset drivers

one more question… I overlooked it last night… but why is HyperV enabled?

not sure i have ability to toggle this off. assuming this is a bios setting… i’ll see what i can do.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1xxx
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.23, 8/13/2020
SMBIOS Version 3.2
Embedded Controller Version 54.23
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 863F
BaseBoard Version 54.23
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = “10.0.18362.1350”
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.7 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.83 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.1 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.6 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Kernel DMA Protection On
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Ok. Hyper-V has been disabled. back to testing…