Bounce Selection - quality loss?

Hi there, I have tried many an internet search but have a question that remains unanswered.

When using the “bounce selection” option in cubase to merge multiple audio files is there ever a quality loss?

For example, is it wise to bounce something that has already been bounced, if an extra piece needs to be added?

Will bouncing something that has already been bounced add more loss or is at just a digital process that binds pieces and doesnt effect audio quality at all?

Hope someone can help!

1 Like

No quality loss bouncing digital wav to digital wav unless the track has been compromised by an effect or digital distortion from overdriving. That is assuming the transition is not leaving Cubase and going through an analog device.

1 Like

Hello,
I am reviving this post in hopes of a further explanation.

I am indeed finding if I bounce selection of a file that there appears to be some loss of what I would describe as the sheen of the original track. I am taking vocal comps, working in Variaudio then bounce selection to clean it up and remove the realtime processing of variaudio. I am hearing an audible quality loss although it is fairly subtle but noticeable. I also ran it through the spectrum analyzer and visually noticed it as well.
Any thoughts or ideas or are we stuck with the reality that bounce selection degrades audio?

1 Like

Copying a digital file gives an exact copy if the equipment is operating properly. Copying a digital file itself incurs no generation loss–the copied file is identical to the original, provided a perfect copying channel is used. As I mentioned in my last post, a track can be compromised by an effect/plugin or digital distortion from overdriving. You are safe bouncing digital tracks without loss assuming the transition is clean and/or is not leaving Cubase and going through an analog device and/or lossy cable connections.

As the user of many Cubase versions since VST 3.7 (now using 7.5), one thing that has been certain: when you get to a point where bouncing tracks is necessary, you shouldn’t lose anything at all within your project. HOWEVER (you may have expected this …):

Before you bounce, be sure that all of your track levels are where you want them to be. If not, you may have to go backwards to fix the problem level (which is possible PROVIDED that you save your new bounced track mix as a new file). Back when my computer had limited capabilities, this process was simply annoying - but at least it didn’t require me to re-record a whole batch of tracks from scratch.

On a sidenote, thank God for automated mixing!

This applies only while you’re working within Cubase. Another poster has already told you about this. Sending your file out to an external processor and back into Cubase? All bets are off.

Good luck with your work - and if you are ever in the market for an upgrade, you’re in the right neighborhood. Cubase rocks!