Bouzouki

Could you please add Bouzouki under world instruments in Dorico 4.

If you need specifics and samples please contact me on info@pkbzki.com

Thanks
Panteli

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Panteli. If you could point us towards a source for information about the bouzouki that you consider authoritative, which includes information like the clef that is normally used when writing it in CWMN, its playable range, its transposition (if any), the tuning of each string (and the number of frets on each), etc., we can certainly try to add this soon.

Hi @dspreadbury,
I suppose @Pantelis_Krestas has in mind the Greek bouzouki, because there is an Irish one, which was brought to Ireland from Greece, just like the Bagpipe from the territory of present Bulgaria.
Greece is neighbor country to mine, so here are some good sources about the instrument:

I suppose the bouzouki is a transposed instrument (sounds 8vb than written), just like the guitar. Because the most common tuning is the same as the guitar.

By the way, there is an Arabic bouzuq, too… actually this is the predecessor of the Greek one:

Generally would be nice if you dive deeper into the traditional instruments of the Balkans and the Middle East.
The Bouzouki belongs to the Tamboura family where the baglama (saz) is.
Unfortunately the tough moment here is that there are many sub-divisions of the same instrument.
I’ve seen that the Tamboura is included, and suppose it’s based on the Bulgarian tamboura?!

Some time ago I did a feature request for Saz notation and Tabs:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Hi there,

Thank you for responding.

Yes Greek Bouzouki is what I am referring too.

The parameters for the Bouzouki are attached in this response below
C3 C4–F3 F4–A3 A3–D4 D4 4 course Bouzouki

27 Frets
Bouzouki is written in Treble Clef

If we play in the lower register then we just write 8vb

Please find free to contact me for any further information sample etc.

Thanks
Panteli

not that it’s important, but some info about the Irish end can be gleaned from this: Mandocello vs Irish Bouzouki on The Session. In brief, there’s a whole family of mandolins that follow the logic of violin/viola/cello, while apparently the octave mando is pitched between the viola & cello…

Very true. I’ve never asked to have them added because there are two types of Mandolas. What they are called varies between countries and genre. I’ve just never gotten around to writing down all the iterations.