bpm sync + change speed of song

Hi
I use Cubase Artist.

I often import tracks into Cubase that were made on a hardware multitrack recorder and drum machine.
If needed I then adjust the project bpm to be in sync with the recording, so I can loop/cut/replace etc.

How can I then adjust the speed of the song too?

If I go into media bay and click “musical mode” on the audio tracks, then I can change the speed but the bpm match I made is messed up.

Is Cubase PRO needed for this to be possible? (tempo detection / warp or what it’s called)

Open the POOL and make sure those files have MUSICAL MODE box checked so they will stretch or compress to the tempo. NOTE, this is in addition to having the track in MUSICAL MODE

A track does not have „musical mode“ it has a „-timebase“.

So I need the bpm to match the audio and be able to adjust the speed.
It looks like I can’t have both

Are you a grand senior PITA or just on saturdays? Put me on your ignore list, Im tired of your snide azz comments on everything around here. No need for you to condescend from your corrective high horse. Take a hike

The algorithm preset affects warp changes in Musical Mode, FreeWarp, and Swing. Cubase Pro only: For the VariAudio warping and pitching features Standard – Solo is applied automatically.RELATED LINKSAlgorithm Presets on page 530Time Stretch and Pitch Shift Algorithms on page 488Stretching Audio Events to the Project TempoYou can stretch audio loops to the project tempo.PROCEDURE1. Select File > Import > Audio File, select the audio loop that you want to import, and click OK.2. Select the audio loop in the project.3. Select Audio > Advanced > Stretch to Project Tempo.RESULTThe audio loop is stretched to match the project tempo.Musical ModeThe Musical Mode allows you to tempo-match audio loops to the project tempo.If you activate Musical Mode for an audio clip, realtime time stretching is applied to the clip so that it matches the project tempo. The audio events adapt to any tempo changes in Cubase, just like MIDI events.In the Sample Editor, you can activate Musical Mode in the AudioWarp section, the Definitionsection, and the toolbar.NOTE●You can also activate/deactivate Musical Mode from within the Pool by clicking the corresponding checkbox in the Musical Mode column.●Cubase supports ACID® loops. These loops are standard audio files but with embedded tempo/length information. When ACID®files are imported into Cubase, Musical Mode is automatically activated and the loops will adapt to the project tempo

Project Tempo ModesFor every project you can set a tempo mode, depending on whether your music has a fixedtempo or if it changes throughout the project.On the Transport panel, you can set the following tempo modes:●Fixed Tempo ModeIf you want to work with one fixed tempo that does not change throughout the project, deactivate Activate Tempo Track on the Transport panel. You can change the tempo value to set a fixed rehearsal tempo.●Tempo Track ModeIf the tempo of your music contains tempo changes, activate Activate Tempo Track on the Transport panel. You can change the tempo value to change the tempo at the cursor. If your project does not contain any tempo changes, the tempo is changed at the project start.RELATED LINKSSetting up Projects for Tempo Changes on page 992Track Time BaseThe time base of a track determines if a track can follow the tempo changes of a project that is set to tempo track mode.In the Inspector for MIDI tracks, instrument tracks, and audio-related tracks, you can activate/deactivate Toggle Time Base to switch the track time base.The following time base modes are available:●MusicalUse this mode for material with a musical, that is, tempo-related time base. All tracks that are set to musical time base follow any tempo changes that you add on the tempo track.NOTEFor audio events on audio tracks that are set to musical time base, the tempo changes on the tempo track affect only the start position and not the actual audio.●LinearUse this mode for material with a linear, time-related time base.

Defining the Track Time BaseThe time base of a track determines if the events on a track are positioned to bars and beats (musical time base) or to the timeline (linear time base). Changing the playback tempo affects only the time position of events on tracks with a musical time base.PROCEDURE●In the track list, click Toggle Timebase to change the time base.

Shanabit… thanks for telling this self-appointed “contributor” what many of us would like to say!

The ignore list works the other way round. You don ´t like my posts - you put me on your ignore list.

But what did you add to this thread?

I mentioned the fact that musical mode and musical timebase are two different things, just like much more respected members than me did in the past and still do nowadays, since many people have and still do mix these two things up. If that is nothing that seems valuable to you - also simply ignore it. It might be helpful for someone else stumbling across this thread.

Since you are so dense here, Im telling YOU to not quote me at all so you in fact will need to put me on YOUR ignore list with your hubris

Hi
I use Cubase Artist.

I often import tracks into Cubase that were made on a hardware multitrack recorder and drum machine.
If needed I then adjust the project bpm to be in sync with the recording, so I can loop/cut/replace etc.

How can I then adjust the speed of the song too?

If I go into media bay and click “musical mode” on the audio tracks, then I can change the speed but the bpm match I made is messed up.

Is Cubase PRO needed for this to be possible? (tempo detection / warp or what it’s called)

Is the correct bpm of the imported drum machine track known? I would recommend to always add the bpm of the drum machine track to the file name. For musical mode to work correctly the file needs the 100% correct bpm value in its metadata.
If this is not correct you must change it.
You can do so by opening pool with control+p. There you will find the tempo column. Here you can enter the correct bpm value.

Ok but how do you find out what is the correct bpm value?

1. You can check the drum machines settings and make sure that its bpm has been correctly added to the metadata.
  2. You can click on Audio–> Beat Calculator. Then play the track and tab the tempo. You will then approximate the correct value. Mostly we are talking a static bpm with a whole number (So if you get 120.11 you probably have 120 etc. ).

And here is how you check if your bpm evaluation is correct and 100% accurate:

1. You enter the bpm in the transport panel.
  2. You align the first count of the song to the bar number 1 of the timeline. Be aware of pickup bars and intros. The snap point for the evnt can be set further in in the event rather then at the exact beginning of it. To do this you can drag the “S” in the sample editor at the beginning of the event to the actual first count to which you want Cubase to snap or use as quantize mark.
  3. You turn on the click and you play the song. Now the beep of the click should be on the beat of your file.
  4. Jump to the last few bars of the event and listen if the click is still in sync and has not shifted in alignment.
  5. If you are still in sync you can be quite sure that your bpm entry is correct and that this is the value that needs to be entered in the pool to make muscial mode work correctly when you activate it.

Greetings,
Jan