Brackets around editorial key signature?

Currently copying a score to familiarize myself with Dorico.

I’ve come across this editorial cautionary key signature which I would like to recreate.

Is it possible to do this in Dorico without a workaround, and if not, what would be the most efficient way to handle this?

Brackets as a glyph is what I’m thinking, but using which popover?

Thank you!

UPDATE:
I was able to fake it by using a playing technique, and creating a glyph using two brackets from the Bravura font set (I’m using Leland as my default music font, and couldn’t find them in that font set). The ones I used are in the “Time Signatures supplement” from the SMuFL specification. Time signatures supplement - Standard Music Font Layout (SMuFL)

For some reason I couldn’t find them unless I switched to unicode and input the range of the glyphs.
I made sure they were attached to the quarter rest on beat two of all the measures where I needed them, and specified the correct offsets in Engrave mode.

Here is the result:

I am unsure of how this will affect things, going forward with the parts, but for now the score looks great.

Any other suggestions are still very welcome.

Is the key signature itself editorial, or merely the addition of a cautionary?

2 Likes

I believe it’s the addition of a cautionary key signature. The editor is showing that it wasn’t included in previous editions by the use of brackets.

So therefore it’s an editorial marking, no?

Please correct me if I’m wrong here.

I should’ve been more clear in my first post. The cautionary key signature is the only thing that contains brackets. The key signature on the following page of the score is fine.

Arguably, all cautionary key signatures are editorial, because it depends on the casting off and where the system breaks fall. It’s not something conveyed in the music by the composer.

Except in cases where the composer was directly involved in the preparation of the first edition (which is true for some 19th-century music), I wouldn’t necessarily bother, even if it were possible.

This example is saying that the key change is for next section, and not the repeat. Apparently the brackets are trying to make the latter more obvious. The fact that it comes after the repeat mark makes that clear enough without the brackets, IMO.

(BTW, there is no such thing as a “cautionary key signature”, logically. A key sig is what appears by default at the beginning of every system. This is a key change.)

1 Like