Cheers,
Dirx

Please Iā€™m late for this . Iā€™ve been struggling with getting this working
Could I have this template as well?

Itā€™s on the way.
Cheers,
Dirx

Hi guys!
Is this tread still alive? Could someone, please, send me the template too? Thanx a lot!

link is sent,

Cheers,
Dirx

1 Like

Thank you for the template. Meanwhile I made my own and now I can see I did it right. :wink:
BUTā€¦!
Is there anyone who could explain this:
as I understand, the ā€œBrauerizingā€ is about routing every instrument (or a bus) through one of these four buses (letā€™s talk about the Aā€“D only for now). Their compressors are calibrated to 1 db reduction at -18 dbFS right? Iā€™m OK with the B bus often marked as ā€˜Drum and Bassā€™. But when I route my synths to one of the others, I can reach the -18 db with one or two, but the rest doesnā€™t ā€œtouchā€ the compressor at all (they are much quieter). Is it how the buses are intended to work? To reduce only peaks of the loudest tracks and ā€œsort of glueā€ the quieter tracks with them? And what if there are parts in the music with only the quieter tracks involved? The compressors donā€™t do anything during that part.
Am I missing some important part of the entire process?
Thank you!!!
PS: I donā€™t own any of the Waves plugins, so I canā€™t test the template. I just realized I did it right routing wise :slight_smile:

Hi
if i understood you right then ists a gain thing ,you must callibrate each bus .
i had the -18 db problem also so i went up to -12 on some of the busses .
i took this one step further i have five vocal busses each with their own compressor type then buss them into another vocal bus i call it bussed vox for eg.
lets say one of those vocal comps wont do nothing at-18ā€¦well its no problem i raise it up to -12 and then turn down the output to tasteā€¦
however remeber one important thingā€¦ these busses are just for sound texture and are not meant to do any ā€œheavy loadā€ compressing.
if you subscribe to this -18 sweetspot stuff then i think you should focus on the gainstage at source i.e. clip gain hittig the channel faderā€¦do you follow me ?
like so .:
cubase arrange windowā€¦>audio clip> volume handle= fader led@-18DB( please set fader settings to monitor input gain)
method 2.: select all audio clips+events go to Audio Menuue and open processesā€¦select Normaliseā€¦ then select -18db (or whatever) press apply.
it is so important that you gain stage propperly if you wish to get that so called sweetspot @-18db for your plugins however i just use my ears i dont subscribe fully to this but at the same time i understand whyā€¦ but this is a subject to discuss with hundreds of people and we get hundreds of theorysā€¦
play safe and stick to the -18(so the purists can say the -18 is the analog 0.Db etc haha just kidding)
one more thing
about yousaying you have no waves plugins ,what are you using ?
if you are not using a moddled vintage compressor then is this -18dbfs really important for your scenario ?.
ā€¦
remember these four busses are ā€œset and Forgetā€ that is easyer than it sounds but once you get the sound down then yeah maybeā€¦
good luck broā€¦
i do not have all the answers but i can and will share whatever i have PM me if you want.
cheers
T

phase issues whith this ??
i found a big factorā€¦
its bus D
a vari-mu + widenerā€¦
the stereo fx vst is the biggest problem in my case
so i killed it no need for it as the signal can be widend b4 it hit bus dā€¦
jut my findings i hope it helps
cheers.
T

Thank you.
Yes, I use analog modelled plugins (not Waves, but mainly Plugin Alliance/Brainworx), or at least based on a real analog gear with a harmonic distortion of some sort (Analog Obsession, Variety of Sound, Tokyo Dawn Labs). Iā€™m also used to mix at -18 dbFS with no problem. And I always mixed to buses (drums, bass, synths, vocal, FX, etcā€¦).
So here are more questions:

1. Do I have to mix to the usual buses, process them to my taste, and send all single tracks to these Brauerized buses too (using sends)? Just for the color???
    Andā€¦!
  2. Why not to use my old buses Iā€™m used to work with plus using the -1 db reduction of selected compressors at the end of the chain? Wouldnā€™t it be quite similar and hassle free?

On the other side I quite like the Drum and Bass bus mixed together with the Pultec EQ on it, I would stick with that anyway.

Hi
yeah cool i like BW Better than waves anyway but thats just meā€¦ i get so sick of waves marketing regime its soooo agressive and then you have to pay to use the same plugins because of their updatesā€¦ oh well.
as far as your other two questions are concernedā€¦ i am not certain what you mean ā€¦ however
this is what i do .
my mix template is setup so
from top down.
stereo out ā€¦ just use it for metering(and steinbergs vision thing)
mix bus .with buss comp-eq-multibamd eq/lim
a rear bus(if i need it if not i may rout all to it except drums)
my Brauer busses-ABCD plus five vocal busses routed to a collective voc bus these are routed to the mix bus
two floating vca comp(1176) to use as and when i need them routed to mix bus or where ever
fx busses start with my standard 3x rev (short ,med and long)
3x delays (s+m+l) rout them to mix bus
groups for Kick,Snares,Toms,cyms, ,oh,rooms/Ambiā€¦ routed to a drum grpup/bus this may have a parralel send or not that i add in afterwards or during the mix process.
this is then the same M.O. for all tracks instuments and vocā€¦
the indidual groups/busses are then routed to their Brauer busses or not (then str8 into the mixbusā€¦
each group of tracks has its own VCA faderā€¦
Vca faders are then nested together like all the drum vca faders are nested to one vca fader etc great to do when you have BV groups then you can turn them all down at once and still keep the integrity if each VCA and or trach ā€¦autimation is cooler this way also
ā€¦
so as you can see i have a massive and at a glance complex setupā€¦ but its worth it as i am as flexible as possible and can rout anything to anywhere at any time, i can choose to run my sub groups right into the mixbus and turn off my brower setupā€¦
prosā€¦ flexible,awsome choices of sound , stereo-,3-1 or 5-1 surround all in one setup.
consā€¦ very complex, setting up is laced with pifalls of forgetting what goes where (untill You have it finished)
system rescorces are quite taxed dueto all the plugins etc,

what i did to make life easyā€¦
in the template i have no tracks just groups/busses,vca,fx,subgroups etc
all inserts,sends and eq are disabled except the metering on the stereo bus
when i import tracks into my mix template i do so without routing them i.e.
import tracks as they are
colour them to my specs
gain stage+ levels and pansā€¦
then i move them into their relative homes where they are then routed to the busses they need to go (still no eq,sends+inserts)
i then turn on the stuff in the mix bus and brauer busses (if needed)
then i eq+ comp as normal
boom done !
ā€¦
so to answer your questionā€¦ yes and yes ā€¦ just do what you feel the song needs.
good luck bro.
T

1 Like

i forgot to mentionā€¦
i am in no way an expert in this fieldā€¦
i just wanted to share my findings and how i utilise this cool MB thing

Thank you for your swift answers!
My setup is quite the same (and simpler :-D) except I add FX buses according to my actual needs. (Theyā€™re not a part of the template because I mix only my own electronic music and I donā€™t need to mimic any real space using reverbs and delays.) Since I mix to stereo only, I can easily use the Control Room feature for all plugins which arenā€™t a part of the signal chain (Supervision is a fitting example).
So the workflow would be:

1. Mix the song the way I was used to;
  2. When finished, send all track to the Brauerā€™s buses for the color (in parallel to the usual set of buses). And balance all changes in the loudness?
  3. Or do it my old way and just add the colorizing dual mono compressors with 1 db of gain reduction at the end of each bus. And add the dual mono 1176 bus if needed. Because you say, you send all your buses to their Brauerized counterparts, not all your tracks in parallel. It means using just the compressors as a part of those ā€œfirstā€ buses should be the sameā€¦ Or am I missing something?

Yea, the aggressive marketing and upgrade policy keeps me away from Waves too. Few days ago, a massive discount ended on Plugin Alliance, so I could obtain quite a large set of great sounding ā€œanalogā€ gear at a fraction of price.

nice one
i just went for the mix and master bundle

and now i got the ssl 9000 which is Brauers deskā€¦moddled by BX , but i wont be putting that across all my channelsā€¦ well maybe once just to see butā€¦ meh ā€¦na maybe not
haha

Now I have 9000 on my every channel. :smiley:
But Iā€™m abandoning the whole Brauerize process. I watched some videos and I realised it didnā€™t suit my needs. He mixes all instrument tracks to the four instrument buses. Every track has to ā€œmove the needleā€ of the compressor. Every track! And there must not be any track , which keeps the compressor active all the time. It means all tracks have to be of the equal loudness. Since I make electronic music, there have to be louder and quieter track within the same bus. So it doesnā€™t fulfil the rules.

HA HA OK
:slight_smile:
i think maybe you may have musunderstood it ,
but one thing is for sure " fulfil the rules."ā€¦ shame you are thinking like thisā€¦ i mean there are no rules exept one ā€¦ if it sounds good then it is good right ?
but yeah i guess it is overkill for ā€œEDMā€
i am certain there are hundreds of peeps out there who might use this or something similar ā€¦
good luck anyway
T

ā€œFulfill the rulesā€ā€¦ Maybe itā€™s my English. But anyway. I heard/read every time in tutorials: for the rig to be functional, I should mix all my track equally, so the bus compressors react to all the tracks the same way. Itā€™s about the levelling. If I mix all my drums, basses and even background arps and pads evenly I get a total mess. All tutorials end here.
I suppose this is a first static mix. Something like mixing into a pink noise? From now on, I can lower or rise several tracks to balance the mix properly, right? And add some other bus gear (eqā€™s, compressors and so onā€¦). I donā€™t want to throw away the whole concept, since the ā€œmessā€ sounded good in itā€™s own way, so Iā€™d like to understand what is the real idea behind it.

Iā€™ve been trying to use this method for some time, but donā€™t know if Iā€™m doing it right. @Dirx could you send me your template to check it out? I would very much appreciate it.

Hi Braulio,
link is sent.

I do not claim my template is doing it ā€œrightā€, it follows the routing principals and the dual mono principals of the dynamics that I read from the sources I mentioned here in the thread.
(maybe https://www.mbrauer.com/q-a is as ā€œrightā€ as it can get :crazy_face:)
The plugin choice and settings take into account, that I need a low latency and low CPU template to start tracking with (f.E. no Pultec emulation/no oversampling).
My settings ( if you happen to use the same Plugins) aim to fit for K-12 (Katz metering).

Cheers,
Dirx

1 Like

Hi Dirx!
Could you send me the template too? Thank you very much!