Brazilian Chord Symbol

Hello, my name is Ricardo Teles, I’m a Brazilian bassist and arranger. Here in Brazil we have a specific way of writing Ama7 as A7M. Is it possible to edit the Engraving Options to have this kind of alternate notation?

Thank you so much
Ricardo Teles

1 Like

do you mean Amaj7 right?

Yes ma7 is a possible way to write maj7 as well.

No, there’s no option to display it as 7M.

as far i know there is those options on Jazz Style on Dorico

but not F7M

You can achieve this by going to Library > Chord Symbols and entering e.g. Amaj7 in the box at the top left, then select the MA7 component of the chord symbol in the editor on the right-hand side, and click the little pencil icon in the action bar to edit the default MA7 appearance that will be selected in the grid there. Make this look like you want, and then whenever you type e.g. Dmaj7 into the popover, you’ll get your modified appearance.

2 Likes

This doesn’t seem to work for me, as the MA and 7 are two separate components. It’s easy enough to edit the MA to be 7M, but then I end up with 7M7.

Is there a way to edit both at once, or combine them into a single component? Obviously editing the 7 to remove it from this suffix globally isn’t an option because then a chord like D7 will just appear as D.

(This nomenclature is definitely new to me though. The brilliant Hermeto Pascoal, for example, has some pretty wild and unique chord symbols, but I don’t think I’ve seen him use 7M for major 7th)

1 Like

Ah, you’re right, Todd. We create the maj7 appearance by combining major and seventh, so it’s not possible to swap these around.

1 Like

Ricardo, you can still do this with individual overrides though. You’ll just have to create this suffix as an override for every root you use, rather than a single global change. (If I were saving this in my own default, I’d do it 21 times, for each root x3 for flat, natural, and sharp. I would then deal with double sharp and flat roots individually as they come up so rarely.)

1 Like

Hello dear friends, thank you so much for illuminating my wishes and thoughts… I am loving being part of this amazing forum, group and family. I just bought Dorico, I come from Sibelius that I have been using for about 10 years, and day after day Dorico really surprises me.

Thank you all so much for embracing my question and helping me out.
Sincerely, Ricardo Teles

2 Likes

In Portuguese we say and write in this order “Sétima Maior (7th Major)” different from the spoken/written order in English (Major 7th). That’s why I asked about that possibility.

Thank you.
Ricardo Teles

1 Like

I swapped the “original” M and the seven. That’s the way I solved.

2 Likes