BRING BACK eLicenser IMMEDIATELY

I’m at the studio, I finish the mix, all that’s left to do is run a quick rough master version for the folder. I close Nuendo, open WaveLab Pro, and it tells me I don’t have a license for it. I tried a few more times because it wouldn’t be the first time Activation manager licensing caused me delays, but still no luck. So I open Activation Manager because that’s usually how I get it to remember that it has licenses for all the software, but Activation Manager’s spinning wheel never stopped. It showed that all the software was activated, which was nice to see that it didn’t forget, and its logged in but wasn’t loading all the way.
I gave up and decided to just do it in a new Nuendo project, since its just a rough master anyway, but now Nuendo won’t open either. Nuendo is telling me the same thing, even though I was just working in Nuendo a few minutes ago.

I was hoping to have the files zipped and ready to deliver before closing up shop tonight, but I can’t because this idiotic license software isn’t working right.
I understand that it is most likely an issue with Steinberg’s servers, but THAT is precisely why this is a terrible way to manage licenses. You know what I never had an issue with? eLICENSER! It was simple to add licenses to it, I could take it with me if I needed to work on another system for whatever reason, I just plugged it into a new computer if the computer ever bites the dust, and IT ALWAYS WORKED!! Not having to keep my business connected to the internet except to up/download files to/from clients momentarily was also much more secure. Now its committed the ultimate sin. Its wasting my time and time and money are one in the same.

4 Likes

Someway somehow it seem like i still use my Dongle (Cubase 10) but i understand that problem and also wish that Cubase keeps with the dongle instead of that online thing… i guess many users think same way

1 Like

I was inclined to agree with the OP’s view that the latest Nuendo requires a constant Internet connection and this has been one of my (several) reasons for not upgrading to N13. However, I’ve just launched Nuendo-13 Trial version with my internet connection disabled and it did launch correctly, although the recently introduced UAD UADx plugins do appear to require an active internet connection in N12 and N13. So perhaps the idea of running with no internet connection is no longer feasible. Although I suppose I could dump the UADx plugins and simply use their VST3 versions.

in order to use the UAD plugins offline you need an Ilok dongle…

1 Like

Yes, I’ve got an iLok but they still don’t work for me with no internet connection.

This is simply not correct, the software does not need a constant Internet connection. You can read the description in the Knowledgebase

where you find a paragraph explaining this

You can also create a token for complete Offline activation, which is explained here

4 Likes

Yes Juergen I agree with you - I just found that out as I mentioned in my post. :frowning:

have you licensed them to ilok cloud or to the dongle? After licensing them to to dongle they have been working offline flawlessly on my M1 Macs…

This is getting a bit too ‘off topic’ but :
They appear to be licensed to something called the ‘I-Lok Cloud’.

I used UA-Connect to install them and that indicated that my I-Lok was being used. That’s all I know.

then you should try to move the licences from I-Lok-Cloud to your I-Lok dongle via the I-lok manager in order to use them offline. Sorry for beeing off topic but it was not me who startet the off topic…I just wanted to help. :slight_smile:

Thanks Tom. I’ll give it a go.

You need to move the licenses from the cloud to the actual key. I also have several UAD native plugins, and it was activated in the cloud by default, but when you move them, no more internet is needed.

I’ve moved the UADx licenses (and a lot of others) off the cloud to a new I-Lok 3 Dongle and it all worked smoothly and perfectly - No Internet required now.

Over and Out.

2 Likes

For me is a great feature the Steinberg Activation Manager since you don’t depend of a USB dongle anymore. I used to work with Logic Pro in live events to avoid transport my e-license. AND same license can be used at studio in the main computer and in a laptop when you’re at home or in the venue.
Very happy here.

1 Like

I’ve had the opposite experience. If I rent out a live-room for a client, I want to track in Nuendo so I can pick up where I left off when I get back to the studio I mix at. The eLicenser makes that simple and its also very straight-forward to explain to the manager at the other studio when asking for permission to install Nuendo temporarily on their computer.

I’ve seen people argue in favor of the new system because they say dongles get broken. While I’ve never had that happen, I suppose being careless with a dongle worth over $1k with the software license(s) on it is possible. I’m more worried about my license on an SSD, which can be ruined many different ways, even if you’re careful.

The only valid reason I see for Steinberg thinking we would all prefer to abandon the dongle is that it frees up a USB port. For Cubase Elements or WaveLab Cast, I understand that position. Those programs are used primarily by amateur hobbyists on their laptops at home. Laptops have only a few ports, expansions for USB can be sketchy or in the way when you’re on a laptop, and a dongle sticking out of the side might get broken fairly easy… but Cubase Pro, WaveLab Pro, and even Nuendo??

WL Pro and Nuendo are professional DAWs. They’re designed for and used by professionals and pros tend to have larger stationary rigs. A custom PC can be built more powerful for less money than a Mac, the size allows you to pack components that would overheat in a laptop, and the ability to upgrade individual components gives it a longer lifespan before obsolescence, which makes it a more sound investment, and USB ports are more abundant from the start and can also be expanded further in the build and out. I’m not under any delusions that I’m the only intelligent studio owner, so I feel its safe to say my competitors have plenty of USB ports available as well.

Rant over lol

1 Like

Back when Steinberg announced the move away from the elicenser, they pointed out that the service was becoming difficult and unwieldy to manage, and further development was being wound down. VSL also moved away from the elicenser to ilok at that time, if I recall correctly.
I suppose Steinberg could have gone with ilok as well, but they pointed out in their explanation that many users over the years had complained about the dongle being somewhat clunky and legacy tech (as well as at risk of damage), and so they decided to go with what we’ve got now.
I run a studio with fixed infrastructure as well as a mobile unit for remote recording. I can’t say we’ve really experienced any difficulty managing the licenses as required.

1 Like

Yes, but only because we were forced to do so when Steinberg stopped developing the eLicenser. It took a comparatively small company like Vienna Symphonic Library enormous amounts of time, money and nerves to change the copy protection during full flight, especially for older products, and it caused*) a lot of confusion and consternation among our customers.

*) EDIT: … and still causes …

Yes, I get it. It’s always a risk when you’re depending on someone else’s technology and/or services to do your thing.
Can you imagine what would happen if iLok decided to close up shop?

I would have been very happy if Steinberg had, instead, done what Pace did with iLok. We have multiple PCs and a Mac we use at our studio, but only 1 dongle. Each computer has licenses on a physical and some licenses are on the iLok itself. No licenses in cloud storage, but I have no complaints about having the option. If I ever mean to bring the dongle somewhere and forget it or maybe I’m visiting another studio or someone’s home studio and decide to show them whatever software, I can have someone transfer the license(s) I need to the cloud.

I use the elicenser to open Nuendo 5 and Cubase 9…stuff like that. But otherwise, I love the current activation system and the ability to have six pc machines as master/slave (Three Nuendo13 and three Cubase13 etc). I only have Wavelab12 installed on one computer.

I have a lot of ilok based programs too, but I like Steinberg’s approach…Arturia too for that matter.

Your original post left me thinking…well, if Cubendo13 were to give me a hard time on one machine…I would’ve simply turned to one of the other window machines to verify Nuendo13 was opening there…copied the entire project folder from one computer to the other…and completed the day’s session.

I’ve never had an activation frizz out. Did you discover the culprit?