I have not tried anything yet. I’m at the end of a 7 month contract that ends in 2 weeks. Just happy that I figured out what was going on. It seems inconsistent as if sometimes Cubase responds to buffer sizes and sometimes not. Restarting Cubase solves my problem until I make a clean install in two weeks.
My Cubase is 64bits and I’ve tried both mixer settings 32bits and 64bits. Did not seem to change anything. I’ll let you know if a clean install fixes everything. It was a mistake to upgrade approaching a few deadlines. I had to copy the whole appdata rooming folder as my preferences did not follow with my profile for some reason. I did not have time to find every little hidden saved preferences (shame on Steinberg for not making this easy). I don’t know if just copying the entire folder messed thing up.
The way Cubase stores settings seems very picky. I remember that I had bugs when I un-hided the appdata folder a while back trying to take control of where my saved preferences where. It resulted in bugs when storing track presets and templates not showing the existing saved presets in the saving dialogues inside Cubase. I had to do a clean install to fix it and keep the appdata folder hidden.