[BUG] Copy/Cut then paste to selected track

This is what’s happening right now:

I have a track (D) with audio on it. I wish to take a part of the event and paste it onto another track (B). That section that I am pasting (from D) I also want to be deleted from the original event and ultimately replaced by something else. Here is how my tracks are laid out:

Track A - empty
Track B - empty
Track C - stuff I want to use
Track D - stuff I want to move and replace

This should work, but doesn’t;

1. With the “Range Tool” I select the range I want to move/replace on Track D.
  2. I “cut” which is supposed to ‘copy then delete’ the selected range. It does.
  3. With the “Select Previous Track” I move up twice to Track B which is empty. I can see that this track is highlighted.
  4. I “paste”.

Result: copied selection pastes onto Track C!!!

This should work, and does;

1. With the “Range Tool” I select the range I want to move/replace Track D.
  2. I “cut” which is supposed to ‘copy then delete’ the selected range. It does.
  3. I select Track B by clicking on it with the mouse. I can see that this track is highlighted.
  4. I “paste”.

Result: copied selection pastes onto track B.

This should work, and does;

1. With the “Range Tool” I select the range I want to move/replace Track D.
  2. I “copy” the selected range. It does.
  3. With the “Select Previous Track” I move up twice to Track B which is empty. I can see that this track is highlighted.
  4. I “paste”.

Result: copied selection pastes onto track B.

1. Then I have to “Select Next Track” twice to go back,
  2. Then delete

Further more, it seems as every single time I use the “cut” function it only pastes on the track immediately “higher” (vertically) than source, regardless of how many tracks “above” I move up to using “Select Previous Track”. So I can follow the procedure in my first example above with the following track layout;

Track A - empty
Track B - empty
Track C - stuff I want to use
Track D - empty
Track E - empty
Track F - stuff I want to move and replace

cut from F, move up to B using “Select Previous Track” four times, and when I paste it ends up on Track E!!!

Is this not key-commands and editing 101 in a DAW? What am I missing here? Can anyone confirm?

Confirmed.

The exact name for this Key Command is “Select Track: Prev” (Project folder).
And it’s also the same problem for “Select Track: Next”.

The problem is that the Range selection cursor does not follow “select track” after cut. You can also see that the Range cursor does not follow “select track” after just placing the Range cursor without drawing a range. But after Copy, or just drawing a range, then the Range selection follows “select track”.

Workaround: use kc “Up” instead (up arrow), that works fine.

Another little anomaly:
clicking prev-prev-next ==> prev-prev-prev…

I use Cubase (7.5.30), but it’s obviously the same.

Thanks. I already spent time writing an external macro for my programmable keyboard to do what I need. I’ll likely reprogram at some point though. Super-annoying to have to find this stuff out after the app’s been out for such a long time.

Using a key to trigger key command “up” is also broken.

This is rubbish.

In what way? It doesn’t select the track, but navigates the “range cursor” up to previous tracks, as it’s supposed to, so a cut clip can be pasted as wanted. Works here, at least.

Edit: Preference “Track Selection Follows Event Selection” also makes the track selected.