Bug? Cubase "forgets" processed files when changing OS

Hello Steinberg,

I’m having a problem I hope you can help me with.

When I’m working on a project and I’m switching from my studio (Snow Leopard/MacBook) to home (win7/PC) - Cubase won’t play any files on the new platform that I’ve processed on the old. I’ve attached a picture that shows the problem…the timestretched file won’t play - although you can see the waveform.

I don’t know if this is a bug or I’m doing something wrong…but it gives a lot of extra work timestretching/reversing all the old files on the new OS.

Otherwise I’m really happy with the new Cubase 6.5! :slight_smile:

Regards
Martin

Hello,

Do you use Cubase 6.5 on both computers?

Best,

Hello Martin,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the setup is identical on both computers - Cubase 6.5, plugins, vsti etc. Only difference is the OS…and all other aspects works perfect.

Regards
Martin

Hello,

How do you transfer the project? D you copy whole folder? Do you use Backup project? …

Best,

Thanks for the reply.

I’m using Sugarsync to sync the project folders on both my computers. All other files work perfectly - the only problem is the processed files.

Perhaps a work around could be bouncing the processed files…a non educated guess would be that the problem lies somewhere in the non-destructive editing…and that won’t be synced correctly to the other computer…maybe back up the project could work.

However back up project will not be a sustainable solution - it will introduce an additional process in the work flow - not mention HD space etc. Online sync between folders is the most flexible and efficient solution for me.

Regards
Martin

Relevant audio file is not afected by stretching. There is original audio file in the audio folder. So, it looks, the information about the stretched process has to be lost.

Can you open History from the Edit menu, and check, if there is Action Size, please?

Best,

The History from the edit menu is empty…has that something to do with it?

Thanks

Strange, there should be list of all operations and functions you did, right?

I guess so.

It must have something to do with the info about processing (timestretch/reverse) doesn’t get transferred to the other system. However there’s no problem remembering all editing and plugin settings.

Does anyone from Steinberg have a comment on this?

Thanks!
Martin

If you have timestretched the file using audio->process or the timestretch tool with any algorithm other than the “preview” (selectable in preferences under Editing->audio) the processing is written to a new audio file in the “Edits” folder inside your project folder.
See if you can locate the relevant edit file and import it to the project (from the example picture you would be looking for Audio 31_01.wav/aif, Audio 31_01-01.wav/aif etc), is it still silent?
My first thought was that you might not have synced the edits folder, only the project file, but that should give you a message about missing files.

/A

Thanks for the reply.

Yes - I can find the edited file in edits (Audio 31_01.wav). And it sounds as it should.
I have synced all the files and folders - so the setup is 100% identical on both systems. Also Cubase would say if it couldn’t find the files.

…so I guess it has to be something with the file references in the project file?

Most likely, you should contact support if you haven’t done it already.

Just a long shot, but have you tried “syncing” the old fashion way by copying the whole project to a memory stick or external hard drive?

/A