Bug: Not possible to input music via MIDI keyboard

Hello everyone!

I have encountered a weird bug which unables me to input music via any of my MIDI keyboards. While this problem is present, it is still possible to input notes by clicking directly in the staves or typing on the qwerty keyboard and also to audition the different instruments by clicking on their corresponding staves and playing on a connected MIDI keyboard. In other words, Dorico seems to monitor all connected MIDI devices correctly but only renders it impossible to input music with them. The only thing that seems to make it go away is if I restart the entire application.

Unfortunately, I haven’t yet determined for sure what triggers this. The only information I have at the moment is that it usually appears after doing other activities on the computer while Dorico is still running in the background and it is when I want to start typing music again that I discover that the MIDI input doesn’t work.

Do you have any suggestions of what might trigger it or possibly how to further track it down? Even though I do not have much information about how to reproduce it, I still hope that this is helpful somehow (in worst case scenario you only know about its existence).

This is a known problem and is fixed for the forthcoming update.

Terrific! Looking forward to the release of the next version! :slight_smile:

I’m now on Dorico 4.2, and for the first time in many years have come up against this very problem - very specifically the strangeness of:

However, in my case restarting the application doesn’t correct the problem, and neither does restarting the computer. Both the boxes are checked (as they always have been) in the Play>MIDI input devices section of Preferences. I even tried deselecting them, applying, reselecting them, applying, but to no avail. What, I wonder, gives?
P.S. Could this be in any way connected with my installation today of Kontakt 6? But the fault persists even in projects where the VST isn’t even loaded.

1 Like

If you are on Windows, try disabling the newly-added WinRT driver. That messed up my system in the same way.

Preferences… Play… Advanced Options > Uncheck Enable WinRT MIDI

You then have to restart. That fixed my setup.

1 Like

Thank you for this tip. I had the same problem and your solution worked for me either.

1 Like

I’m going to try that forthwith! Thanks!

1 Like

OH JOY!! It works! I’m dancing around here. Thanks so much for directing me to such an obscure corner of Dorico!

2 Likes

Obscure indeed. And (AFAIK) only introduced in D4.2. I glanced through the 4.2 version history and totally missed it (page 5), because the paragraph was headed Bluetooth-enabled MIDI devices on Windows. and since I have no Bluetooth devices, I skipped the subsequent warning!

1 Like